Radiant floor heating costs/information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to install electric RFH in my home but I can't find too much info about it. I want to heat about 380sf. It is new construction. Anyone know an approximate cost per foot (self-install)? Any other tips on brands, types, or installation are welcome.

are you puting the pex pipe in the cement? I've done my 1700sf garage that way . I've also done it under a tile floor that I layed. Both times I just used an electric hot water tank. Garage costs about $400cdn for pex pipe tied it in to rebar when doing conrete, hot water tank $350cdn wiring,brass fitings etc another $250cdn. tile floor 150sf $100 pex ,$150 hot water tank , $50 wiring brass etc. Tile flloor was not really for heating just to keep tiles warm. We live in th very northeast corner of BC winter temps probbly average -20 to -30C. my garage stays about 7C (warm enough to melt the snow off wifes car and tool are not to cold to work with). Did all work myself or friends helped. Next time Iwould get something different like a eletric boiler(much more expensive $3500cdn but would stay much warmer)
Hope this helps Dean

Unless electricity is really cheap in your area, you might be better off with hot water instead. The electrical matts are great for small areas - like a bathroom floor by the tub - but not so much for larger areas.

Make sure you insulate below the area being heated.

I agree with the pex and heater over staight resistance radiant heating. I've worked on a few electric radiant jobs putting in basebord to replace it because of cost of operation. ( to be fair both jobs used the radiant designed for tile warming and not space heating and were not insulated under the radiant to prevent heat loss into the slab) Pex tubing gives you the advantage of being able to change out the heat source if needed and no wire to fail in your floor.

Kevin

As above...you better be paying low electric rates if you want to install electric radiant floor heating. Here in Nevada residential is 12 cents a KWH thus making electric heating cost prohibitive.

Thanks all. After doing some further research, it looks pretty cost prohibitive for the installation, let alone the operation cost. I will re-think the water route, although it looks like its about twice as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom