Quick Question on Soft Doors

Is there a commercial soft door that will fit the door frame and latch plate for my '83 LPB? I would love to be able to quickly switch from hard to soft doors, but I don't want to have to change the latch plate each time. (SOR option from what I can tell) I had this ability in my soft top 40, and I would love to hear if someone has something that works in the 45 series.

if you use a factory soft top door the latch will not matter from early or late.

The OEM soft top door latch catches above the hard door striker

Waggoner5

SILVER Star
I looked hard for a bolt in door and ended up making a set, copying the Bestop design somewhat. I made my tops removable as well. There was a company making tops and doors with this design, but have been gone for quite a while.

One thing to keep in mind is the latch attaches to the B pillar soft top bow. So with handle in the stock location. The tub that is on the 45 top is shorter and I believe thicker that that of the FJ40. I haven't pulled the top off my FJ45 in many years but it seems the hole in the tub is solid and will not allow a FJ40 soft top bow to find in the FJ45 tub.

Thanks everyone.

Gary - Any chance you can post a pic of what you made?

'67 - Very cool link to the old style doors. I've never seen them before, but maybe a bit to big for what I was thinking.

LITP - I think you're right on the latch. Thanks. I'll have to watch for that if I find something.

so.... I guess I'm really looking for-

a) a lightweight soft door that uses factory 45/47 hard latches
b) With a removable upper half to allow it to be used as an all weather door, as well as a half door that will serve when driving topless.

Maybe someone knows of such a unicorn? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom