quick question(HDJ81 VX) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've asked this on the 80 series tech board but i was told to ask my question here. anyways, i was planning on importing a LC(HDJ81 VX) from japan. the thing is i wanted to salvage as much parts as i can from my 4runner that i can use on my LC. one of the part would be the wheels and tires i just bought 2 months ago. the thing is my wheel is only 15". im not sure if a 15" would fit on a LC. from what i was told, 16" is the smallest wheel size you can go on a FZJ80. is it thesame with the japanese version HDJ81 VX?

Pre 1993 should be able to use 15"wheels, even on 4 wheel disc brake models. The rear discs are smaller for 1990-1992 VX.

Dave

thanx Dave... all i needed to know

CYRUS said:
i've asked this on the 80 series tech board but i was told to ask my question here. anyways, i was planning on importing a LC(HDJ81 VX) from japan. the thing is i wanted to salvage as much parts as i can from my 4runner that i can use on my LC. one of the part would be the wheels and tires i just bought 2 months ago. the thing is my wheel is only 15". im not sure if a 15" would fit on a LC. from what i was told, 16" is the smallest wheel size you can go on a FZJ80. is it thesame with the japanese version HDJ81 VX?

I thought the JDM 81's all had the bigger brakes from 91 on..

Michael

Both front and rear rotors are smaller on the old 80s. That's what allowed me to mount 15" rims on mine.

The downside is that, at least in my locale, brake pads available are only the ones for later model LC80's and though they mount on my old LC without difficulty, a teeny tiny ridge is formed on the outside of the pad that eventually rubs against the outside of the rim. I end up having to grind the outer edge of the pads down every three months or so as they make a squeel.

Kalawang

Lot of folks switch to 16" rims because the 81 is a frairly heavy truck and there is a greater assortment of D and E rated tires in this size.

Cheers Stephen

sburles said:
Lot of folks switch to 16" rims because the 81 is a frairly heavy truck and there is a greater assortment of D and E rated tires in this size.

Cheers Stephen

Actually I had and still have 16" rims when I aquired my LC. Unfortunately I was faced with a long trip and couldn't find the right replacement tires for my 16" rims so I bought new 15" rims for a set of tires that were close enough but required the smaller rims.

Now I'm shilly shallying between two sets of tires. :doh:

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom