Quick before my valves cool....how to find TDC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lowtideride said:
huh? owell...it was just a rag with some gas on it...and it rubbed most of the grease off..

can i just adjust the valves when the rotor is at the #1 spark plug then turn the engine over agian til it hits #1 spark pulg on the dizzy?

there was so much crap and crud in the way i could not see the line..

what size is the nut on the crank? the reason i dint try that is beacuse i dint think i had the right size....somthing like 42 mm or somthing...

Hi Al,

46mm, english 1 13/16 inches works, but they're about $20 just for socket at sears, and 3/4 drive. I turned mine w/ a 19mm on the PS pump--you can barely see the little window and turn the pulley at the same time.

If it's running the easiest thing to do is hook up your timing light, loosen the dizzy hold down bolt, and twist the dizzy body back and forth (while it's idling, obviously, and disconnect and plug the two vac advance hoses). I couldn't find my mark to save my life, but when I twisted the dizzy it popped into view. The BB is 7 deg BTDC, and the line marking TDC is almost an inch CCW from it. It's real easy to see (and mark w/ paint) by taking off the inspection cover--grab a 12mm and remove 6 bolts--4 on the bottom, 2 higher up facing the front. I just took mine off to mark the line....easy! BTW, the BB looks more like a hole on mine.

Here's an update, cause i just got done adjusting my valves for the first time:

TDC--Like I said, if it's running you may be able to find the line and BB by twisting the dizzy while it's running. If you want an easy way to mark em for sure, crawl under and take off the inspection cover (multi-angle plate just aft of oil pan, and 7 bolts, not 6). The thin line is TDC, the BB is 7 deg BTDC.

I screwed up w/ the valve adjustment, and then got rained out before I could finish, so I'm gonna run through it again tomorrow (DAMMIT, I NEED A FAWKIN GARAGE!!). You need to check (and adjust?) one half of the valves when the #1 is at TDC in compression, and then turn the crankshaft 360 deg and do the other half (#1 will also be at TDC, but in exhaust). This is where I screwed up...I got it warmed up, pulled off the air cleaner while it was running, shut it off, pulled #1 plug (so I could see piston) and then turned it by hand to TDC. My hands were flying! Popped of the valve cover (had to disconnect the PCV hose) and there it was...my first valve train! I'm hurrying now, cause I just know it's getting cool too fast. Started with 1st three rocker arms (from the front), got the hang of holding the screwdriver on the screw, loosening and tightening the locknut w/ the 14mm wrench, and juggling the feeler gauge, but then when I got back to the intake on #4 it was way off, and I screwed the adjusting bolt almost all the way out and still couldn't get the feeler in. Something was wrong.....

Pulled the dizzy cap, and the rotor wasn't pointing at #1, but 180 deg off!

:censor: :censor: :censor: #1 was at TDC, but on exhaust! (note, here's where I screwed up**...)

so I cranked it around 360 so rotor was pointing at #1 wire and started over--#1ex/in, #2 in, #3 ex, #4 in, #5 ex, all much better (no crazy adjustments needed), but the head's cooling. "What the hell, I'll redo it tomorrow" Crank it around 360 (here's where I realized my mistake**) and ran through the other 6 valves, #2 ex, #3 in, #4 ex, #5 in, #6 in/ex. Not really that hard to do once you get used to it, and when you know what to do. Raining constantly by then, so I stashed parts and tools, dropped the hood, and grabbed a Shiner.

** Next time I do this, I will put it at TDC and pull off the dizzy cap. If it's pointing at #1 plug wire position I'll do the first 6 valves (the first list above), if the rotor's pointing 180 deg from #1 I'll do the second set--I didn't need to keeping turning the crankshaft as much as I did.

IT'S EASY! The FSM shows which valves are exhaust and intake, and lists the clearances (.2mm for in, .35mm for ex), but doesn't tell you the magic combination (listed above)...for that I needed Haynes.

:cheers:

i hear ya about not having a garage, it rains here every day at 5pm....i call it break time.

Here is way my dad showed me to find TDC and It works every time.

Take out the plug on number one all of them if you wish.
Put a thumb/finger/rubberstipper over the number one plug hole and turn the moter over with a ratchet.
When you hit the compression stroke you will feel the compression push the thumb/finger easily.
Then place something like a piece of wire or a Zip tie down the hole to sit on top of the piston.
Continue to wind the moter wit the ratchet and watch the wire/Zip tie and it will move up.
As it reaches the top of the stroke (on compression) you have got TDC

Simple

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom