questions on buying 2006 gx470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, so looking at getting my first gx. As mentioned, it's an 06 with just under 90k miles listed for about 15k. It spent most of it's life in Florida, now in Seattle. Seems like a pretty good deal but looking up the service history through lexus, there are about 55k miles without any listed services. I know that service history is one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle when buying an older car, so is this enough of a gap that I should keep looking elsewhere? It's tempting to overlook this as it's mileage is so low, but just trying to be smart about it. I assume the timing belt/water pump has not been done either. This will be my wife's daily driver and not so much an off-road truck (sacrilege!), if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

Is there a carfax with more records? Has the dash been replaced? If it looks good and runs good, buy it and change the tb/water pump. Make sure it shirfts into 4lo and the center dif lock is working. $15k at 90k sounds good, maybe get them to change the tb/water pump. Chances are up to 90k it has only had brakes and oil changes.

thanks for the reply. I checked the carfax and it essentially matches the lexus report. One thing that was noted was the sunroof needed a new track assembly and gasket, but the owner declined and they simply unplugged the sunroof motor. Dash does not appear to have been replaced as the report shows they noted the cracking and installed a dash pad ie cover. These are all bargaining chips I suppose. I might offer to pay for parts if they do the labor on some of these things. And I'll be sure to check 4lo and the center diff, once I google how do that. Thanks again!

I would be cautious. With no service history in the last 55k miles, a broken sunroof, cracked dash, and needing a TB/WP I think it's priced too high and carries a lot of risk. Good low mileage, well taken care of GX's are out there, just got to keep looking and be patient. I bought my 04 few months ago in Portland with 89k miles for about $12k. 1 owner, Oregon vehicle, and a perfect (every 5k miles) Lexus service history.

Have it inspected. Our '05 4Runner (same VVT-i V8 engine, same driveline, same platform) we bought new and had serviced for 13 years at Toyota of Seattle. Carfax has NO information from Toyota of Seattle on any of our services, apparently our 4Runner has around 300 miles on it according to Carfax. I personally know the entire history of everything ever done on it, I can guarantee you Carfax is off by 119,900 miles :)

Timing belt you definitely want to know. There should be a sticker on the front of the engine area with the date and mileage when the timing belt was done if it was done. We did our's before 90k, it ain't cheap to have a shop do it. Another thing to be aware of on these VVT-i V8 is the secondary injection pump going bad (it's only for cold start-up and about 10 seconds of that). There's a bypass kit for about $250 or you can fork out the $2k-$3k depending on which ever so nice shop wants to take your money from you. If it goes bad, your dash will light up like a Christmas tree and you can tell it's taking a dump when it sounds like a 777 taking off on first cold start of the day.

Thanks for the replies guys. I’m assuming the TB has not been done but I’ll definitely look for some sort it sticker if I check it out. Thanks for the heads up on the secondary injection pump. I suppose there is a chance they will have service receipts for the unaccounted miles, I’ll just have to call. I might still go check it out and see if I can bring them closer to 10-11k if it needs work. Definitely will get an inspection as well. I assume any good Indy shop will do?

So that GX was sold but with all the missing service history, I'm not upset. But, I found another 06 non nav with about 120k miles listed for about 14,8000. It looks extremely clean, has all service records, and timing belt/water pump were done on time. my question is that the service history notes multiple small issues like TPMS lights needing multiple sensors replaced, blinkers blinking too fast, rattling sunroof, needed new alternator etc. Certainly nothing major or anything related to drivetrain, but would those small issues make you reconsider or is it all par for the course with these vehicles. Thanks!

Blinkers blinking too fast probably means you have a burned out turn light bulb or need a new fuse. You most likely can check and fix this yourself.

I had my alternator fixed for like $250 at an Indy mechanic with a remanufactured Denso alternator.

Mine has no TPMS and sunroof doesn’t rattle when closed!

Thanks. It looks like those issues have already been fixed, but I guess my concern is that there seems to be a whole bunch of little things and it makes me a little nervous. Nothing major though so probably a good sign.

If all those things were fixed, then I wouldn’t worry. You are getting a well maintained truck!

I just bought an '08 with 142k last week for $13.7k. Original AZ owner with immaculate service record from Lexus only. I missed out on 2 others in the last month because they sell so fast. I think someone is out there buying them up because they arent sleepers anymore. It's getting so ridiculous that you need have to show up with cash, because someone else will be right behind you with cash in hand. Definitely a sellers market. Definitely have to have everything ready to go, and be able to head over to get it as soon as it becomes available. It's insane. Thought I was going to end up with a 4R! :-D

You're definitely right and this one just sold as well. The past 3 I've looked at have sold within a day or two. It sucks when your in a fairly rural area and all the trucks are several hours away. Oh well, the search continues, but congrats on your GX.

Thanks undrtow. Being several hours away will definitely make it harder. Be patient. If it is meant to be, you will find a way. Ebay autos? Carvana & Zoom are changing how we buy cars. They pull from a national inventory, drop it off at your door, and give you 7 days to check it out. Not sure if they carry older vehicles with 100k+ miles, but might be worth a look. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom