Question.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
How does one even do something like this???

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Slight bit of damage to top of fender and door but nothing that impedes movement. Mirror took brunt of it it looks like but still functions.

Yeah I don't know... looked at the truck a couple times and just cannot figure out what exactly happened. No real other damage elsewhere that would indicate something falling on it or an accident of sorts. Just a REALLY strange location and the way that the pillar is almost pushed in and up seems like something was sticking out the ground that the owner ran into.

Maybe something that was that high on the back of another vehicle that the owner pulled into inadvertently? Truck is for sale at a local mom and pop shop (one of those, throw out a number and we will work something out type places). Pulled the VIN and very little service history on it, 205k but dont know if TB/WP have ever been done. Heater Ts havent been, axles are leaking a bit and suspension bushing are a bit compressed. This is a '99 100 series.

I'm guessing alcohol was involved. In college my buddies stole a javelin from the track team, launched it almost straight up into the air, and it ended up in the hood of my 72 Gran Torino.

That looks like someone went at it with a firewood splitting maul.

Yeah, an angry ex could be involved.

Or running into something like a rollback - or it backing into this...

Yeah see that is what I am trying to figure out... Just seems like such a weird spot and the angle of the hit just seems odd as well seeing as there is no indication of other damage aside from the mirror.

Wondering how hard it would be to pull that out or fix that. Truck has a decent amount of service records (58 according to CarFax, toyota has a few as well). No major rust to speak of but Toyota didn't indicate that the TB/WP was ever done.
When I looked at it the original heater T's were still there but did not look like they were weeping at all (good sign). The front CVs were just starting to weep so the boots would need to be done in short order. Few other things but the 100 only had 205k on it. One of those one's that is on the cusp of risk vs. reward from what I can see.

It wouldn't exactly be an easy fix. I'd likely cut that area out, shape a piece of metal, and weld it in. That would be easier than straightening that piece out and you'd have to open it up to get behind it anyway. If I were flipping it, I'd just weld the new piece over the existing and finish the welds smooth. You should be able to get behind the corner of the front fender to straighten that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom