Question for local HAM experts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OffRoad Rage

Dry Roasted in the Desert
SILVER Star
Threads
I have co-workers on Puerto Rico that we haven't heard from for obvious reasons. One has a HAM set up and gave out his call sign and I'm guessing frequency prior to Maria. Is anyone that uses these radios for communication other than trail runs picking up anything from PR? If I gave this information to you is that something that you could use to reach out to this guy?
People are obviously concerned here and I thought someone in the club might be able to provide some feedback.

Thanks,
Norm

What's the frequency?

Most of us are using 2 meter frequencies, which is 144-148mhz. I believe, but I could be wrong, 2 meter might not be sufficient to hit Puerto Rico.

What's the frequency?

Most of us are using 2 meter frequencies, which is 144-148mhz. I believe, but I could be wrong, 2 meter might not be sufficient to hit Puerto Rico.
There may be an web accessible station that could be in range of 2 meter

St. Lucia repeater is one method, but you'd need to coordinate across repeaters from here, maybe even across bands. Here's a quick article on what they are dealing with there: In Devastated Dominica, 'Hams' Become Vital Communications Link

You're unlikely to be able to reach any specific individual right now,

What's the frequency?
I believe it's 14.237 Mhz, does that sound right? I think the problem now is that there is no power, and no fuel available for personal generators. Heard from two different people in PR that drove to the SW corner of the island where a few of the only remaining cell towers are still standing and operational. They only got out short voice mails. It's going to be no bueno for a while.

I believe it's 14.237 Mhz, does that sound right? I think the problem now is that there is no power, and no fuel available for personal generators. Heard from two different people in PR that drove to the SW corner of the island where a few of the only remaining cell towers are still standing and operational. They only got out short voice mails. It's going to be no bueno for a while.

That's the 20 meter band, which is good for long distance communications. I doubt any of us that are newer to HAM are set up for that.

For phone communications you need a general or higher license to use that frequency in anything other than Morse (CW)

@LongDuck do you have any contacts that are setup and licensed for 20 meter? A third party can use their rig as long as they are present. I don't know anyone setup for that.

Yes, as the West Valley Amateur Radio club has a number of members that are into longwave. They meet 2x daily on 147.300 (listen) on the Sun City repeater with a positive offset of 162.2Hz, expect daily call ins at 9a and 8p. I would call for Ed (W7PNJ), a net controller most nights and a very helpful dude.

I'm sure they could set someone up to talk on longwave if you're willing to explain why. I think thy also meet 2x week for breakfast somewhere,...

ETA: just inquired on the 'net whether anyone had made DX contacts with PR and someone came back that it would be rare to make contact that far from here on 20m, even 40m or 80m, as it's too far even with a high power set and atmospheric bounce working in your favor. When he lived in Florida, it was fairly common, however.

Maybe post on the Big board and see if someone in Florida has longwave and can assist...?

Last edited:
Received word yesterday that they flew in some Sat phones for some of the site leaders when they brought in relief supplies. Information should be flowing at least a little bit now.

Thank you guys for the informative feedback. I knew it was a long shot (literally apparently) but it was worth the investigation when there was no information coming from the island.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom