Builds Qball’s GX 460 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided to change the thread to my build thread since this is a worthy update.

In my typical fashion I can’t leave a good thing alone, plus got tired of the choppy ride on the GX and wanted a lift anyways. With help if a good friend who got the King’s shocks on his GX I bit the bullet and ordered the King’s shocks and he help me ordered it with 2.5 body and resi with compression adjustment,
so sexy!
BA698311-1461-4DCB-B88E-CBEC730DD8DA.jpeg
74B5816A-12AE-456C-8C35-EECE9382BAC5.jpeg

My girl ready for new legs!
A4492019-0914-417B-A455-49F43D241E81.jpeg

Instal went relatively smooth for the rear, passenger for some reason was harder to drop the axle so had to use spring compressors to put new spring back in.
FDFB4A5E-851D-464F-8748-5493F2E14C4B.jpeg
23E7B921-9E1E-41ED-81D7-1197A58E8A79.jpeg

Last edited:
Front went in easier than expected, granted we decided to not to change the UCA since my GX only has 10k on it.
0249FC8D-70FC-440A-96DE-4C68C913C2E2.jpeg

We were so close we can taste it! Plus it was dinner time! Then trouble arrives! The brackets to mount the Resi do not fit!!! They are for 150 with sway bar and the GX with KDDS doesn’t even have threaded holes for the bolts. So we decided to improvise with rivnuts, then the problem with driver side is then is the KDDS sway bar was in the way. So dropped the sway bar and popped in the rivnut, then we realized the driver side has a weird piece of metal in the way that doesn’t seem to do anything besides holding the shield. Out came the cutting wheel and grinder.
F80CA0DA-54E0-4D34-89A3-23042EEEF4E3.jpeg
410EAEB6-1642-47E0-8336-D0E6AF1604DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally mission accomplished!
8779C3A0-5EC8-4EFC-8793-4B4436CB9A16.jpeg
C5975C9F-DD17-4059-965D-4959C7D3C435.jpeg

torqued everything and went for a drive! oh she is sooooo smooth! Got slightly over 2 inch in the front and almost 3 inch in the rear but the rear will settle.
EB687E9A-28A7-45A3-9E57-9DBF4278F178.jpeg

So due to the way the kit is designed King’s never did R&d on a KDDS GX. Valving was custom and obviously the Resi brackets will not work out of box. This mean I’m the first GX460 with KDDS with King’s 2.5 coilovers with Resi!!!:bounce2::bounce::bounce::bounce2:
Ride is superb! Again, custom valving for the GX which is a lot heavier than the 4Runner. Relatively firm on small stuff and soaks up big bumps like a dream. It’s like riding on temperpedic firm pillows. With my Resi I got compression adjustments and will leave the setting on softest during break in. Probably will add a few clicks to reduce the brake dive more but it is already damn amazing!

Last edited:
Very nice. Would like to see what the height settles down into. Your GX build has officially started, with or without you knowing :)

Looking great and can't wait to see what is next. Any idea what size tire you will end up with?

Looking great and can't wait to see what is next. Any idea what size tire you will end up with?

most likely 285 which I was told would fit in stock spare location. Might be a little while since the now donuts only has 10k on them. Next project is probably second/auxiliary battery.

Very nice. Would like to see what the height settles down into. Your GX build has officially started, with or without you knowing :)

you have a great point, might just rename the thread to my build thread!:steer:

Looks good and I'm not trying to steal your thunder, but saying it is the first 460 on Kings is a stretch. There are lots of guys with 460s running Kings w/ reservoirs. Also, there are already kdss bracket kits from King for the front reservoirs.

Just curious, but who did the custom valving for you?

Looks good and I'm not trying to steal your thunder, but saying it is the first 460 on Kings is a stretch. There are lots of guys with 460s running Kings w/ reservoirs. Also, there are already kdss bracket kits from King for the front reservoirs.

Just curious, but who did the custom valving for you?

Maybe they sent me the wrong brackets? I also saw some pictures online with 460 with Resi so I wasn’t sure why they sent me the wrong bracket since they know I have KDDS, which could be a simple mistake. Supposedly in the past King’s only made 2.0 for GX/150, these are 2.5 and custom ordered by my buddy John but bracket design should be the same.:meh:🤔

The valving is done by King’s, but my buddy John had them revalve his 3 times before he found it to be his liking so I just used his valving data. If you are interested PM @jtwopark. Although valving is very personal and everyone’s goals and use cases are different but I really like how it rides now. Firm on the road(much less brake dive and sway), smooth over bump and uneven road especially when the speed picks up and great on the big hits like dips.

just did my monthly 4L and CDL exercise in a dirt lot near the house and the body control and smoothness is night and day better then the OEM shocks. BTW supposedly the OEM shocks on the GX are the same as the 4runner.

Yes, it’s a complete overkill and could of just ordered the ones with no Resi and adjustments but oh well.

Last edited:

It has been almost a month and the front settled about an inch and the rear maybe around 1/2 inch so definitely has the stink bug look now. OME springs are notoriously long lasting so it might take a long while before is really settles and I might need to put some lead bricks in the trunk to help it along.

Ive also decided my next project/mod would be second battery and compressor. Most likely second battery at passenger firewall and compressor near the master cylinder. Probably stick with a single arb compressor so I will have room for the smart charger and possibly switch pro.

Before I can do much with the 460 some crazy lady ran a red light and ran into the 460 while the wife was driving it. Fortunately it’s relatively mild and body shop said it will be 2 weeks and 5200 dollars. At least she had insurance and we have uninsured just in case. Just really pissed that the rear quarter panel on the 460 has to be repainted at only a year old.
086C2C4E-A48E-4B9C-B2AD-1D6860AF8999.jpeg

If it were me, I would replace that with a kaymar rear bumper. It sounds like everyone is ok from the accident?

If it were me, I would replace that with a kaymar rear bumper. It sounds like everyone is ok from the accident?

Yes, it’s fairly minor and everyone is fine. Thank you.

I really dislike tear bumpers due to extra weight while not gaining ground clearance. I don’t even have a rear bumper for my 80 for the same reason, we use the rear cargo area a lot so bumper will really get in the way. Maybe one day someone makes one for the GX that’s relatively light and minimum in bulk department.

What's up Qball? Haven't heard anything about any new mod's, toy's or adventures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom