PZJ70 Full Lock Set (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry I should have been more clear. By door locks, I meant all doors locks that the complete set is applicable to by part number reference.

With the exception of the pickup 75/79 series, pretty much every new 70 series complete set will have three door locks and the ignition lock with three new keys. The variations come in with the numbering system shown on the chart.

I use toyodiy to first find out what the set applies to if all I have is the set part number then go from there.

Updating this in case anyone searches. 69005-6B553 worked for all the doors on my 1990 BJ73 (and I have a spare fuel door lock now). I just need to get the ignition sorted out next with the new lock cylinder. Good news is for the first time since I've owned it, you can now unlock all doors without climbing over the seats or prying the fuel door open. So what if I have to carry two keys, thats a win in my book.

This is great news @Irish11 I went ahead and ordered 69005-6B612-C0 as a spare set since it has both the glove box lock and spare wheel lock. Partsouq shows 69005-6B612-C0 as a substitute for 69005-6B553.

Get these sets while you can!

I’m glad the information I researched and provided worked out good for you so you didn’t have to do any of that leg work.

😂😂

It does take a lot of leg work to find out what works and doesn't when it comes to lock sets!

This is great news @Irish11 I went ahead and ordered 69005-6B612-C0 as a spare set since it has both the glove box lock and spare wheel lock. Partsouq shows 69005-6B612-C0 as a substitute for 69005-6B553.

Lockset 69005-6B612-C0 came in today from partsouq. I took a photo of the set before I put it away. It is about as complete of a lockset you can get these days. If I ever have to replace my locks, I will probably use this set and adapt the corresponding ignition bracket if I have to.

Lockset4.PNG

Maybe this will be helpful for others, maybe not. This post is based off my own testing of the two locksets I have in possession on my 1993 HZJ77. There are some slight differences in the ignition assy between the original and the two new ones from the lockset but they all fit and function and work properly (turn easily, start car, etc) in my 1993 HZJ77 perfectly as I had the chance to test them today.

Here are photos of the ignition assy. Original vs. the two new ones. One of the new ones came with a rubber grommet that my original ignition assy and the other new ignition assy did not have. I actually had to remove this rubber grommet to make it fit. :meh: Maybe I was just too nervous to force it in there with that grommet.

With all that said. I will be definitely be keeping 69005-6B612-C0 as backup since it checks all boxes...(spare wheel lock, glove box door lock, etc).

On to the pictures.

lockcompare4.JPG

lockcompare5.JPG

lockcompare6.JPG

I take it 69005-6B612-C0 installed without issue in the steering column as well? I haven't had a chance to install 69005-6B553 into the column yet and see what I am up against. Having the ability to unlock and lock all the doors without climbing has been really nice though, haha.

I take it 69005-6B612-C0 installed without issue in the steering column as well? I haven't had a chance to install 69005-6B553 into the column yet and see what I am up against. Having the ability to unlock and lock all the doors without climbing has been really nice though, haha.

Ignition switch assy from 69005-6B612-C0 was not an issue for me at all once I removed the rubber grommet. Worked like a charm but I know it probably won't be like that for everyone.

69005-6B612-C0 is listed a substitution for 69005-6B553 on partsouq. The difference is that 6B612 has glove box lock.

Last edited:
Maybe this will be helpful for others, maybe not. This post is based off my own testing of the two locksets I have in possession on my 1993 HZJ77. There are some slight differences in the ignition assy between the original and the two new ones from the lockset but they all fit and function and work properly (turn easily, start car, etc) in my 1993 HZJ77 perfectly as I had the chance to test them today.

Here are photos of the ignition assy. Original vs. the two new ones. One of the new ones came with a rubber grommet that my original ignition assy and the other new ignition assy did not have. I actually had to remove this rubber grommet to make it fit. :meh: Maybe I was just too nervous to force it in there with that grommet.

With all that said. I will be definitely be keeping 69005-6B612-C0 as backup since it checks all boxes...(spare wheel lock, glove box door lock, etc).

On to the pictures.

View attachment 3019576

View attachment 3019577

View attachment 3019578
I can add that I tried to install 69005-6B612-C0 ignition lock in my 1993 KZJ70 (the same is valid for LJ70 after 1990) today and it fits and works. The original one, as in the case of @FJ73Texas, had no grommet, but I pushed the new one (with grommet) a little harder and it clicked in nicely. Removing it also requires a bit more force due to the grommet. So it’s better to install it when you’re ready to assemble everything.

Thanks to @FJ73Texas for sharing insight!

On to the pictures.

View attachment 3019576

View attachment 3019577

View attachment 3019578

That's great info! Should be pinned in the FAQ.

If only they were like late 80s BMW cyls where you could manually rekey them... maybe it's better Land Cruisers don't have anything in common with BMW...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom