Purchased and installed the BIOR rear bumper on my 100. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to share my experience on the purchase and install of the 100 series BIOR Rear Bumper. I recently purchased and installed the rear bumper. After placing my order, it took about three months for me to get my bumper because Mike was backordered. I installed the bumper over the weekend. The installation was straightforward, although better instructions would probably help avoid a couple of minor redo's, but pretty minor! Regardless, the components used on the bumper are top-notch as are the welds as is the powder coating. I don't think you can get more for your money! And frankly, the finished product is pretty impressive.

2020-11-14 16.58.46.jpg

2020-11-14 16.58.37.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. I've got one on order. Mike did my sliders and full set of skid plates. He's great. Any idea how much it weighs? Also what rear springs do you have if you don't mind?

Congrats

I have one on my truck- agree its great! one thing to watch out for is dirt being thrown up by the rear wheel and getting stuck in the bumper. Mine is semi-rusty (rusty for CA at least) due to dirt sitting in there for too long. The previous owner installed the one on my truck so I'm not sure if there is an option, but closing up the hole right behind the rear wheel where the mud flaps would be might be a good idea. I ended up making some out of some plastic I had laying around to try and prevent so much dirt getting in.
Also, nice miniature breaker bar there ;)

Awesome. I've got one on order. Mike did my sliders and full set of skid plates. He's great. Any idea how much it weighs? Also what rear springs do you have if you don't mind?

Congrats

I have Slee heavy duty springs on my truck in the back with the slee remote reservoir shocks (OME torsions up front). I thought the slee springs rode a bit stiff with no weight in the back. I have since added some DIY drawers and that helped with the ride quality.

I have the OME torsion bars up front, but OME 865 springs in the rear. I may have to upgrade. I don't have drawers or anything, but do throw an elk on top and in the back from time to time.

I have the OME torsion bars up front, but OME 865 springs in the rear. I may have to upgrade. I don't have drawers or anything, but do throw an elk on top and in the back from time to time.

You will have to upgrade from your 2865 springs.

The BIOR Bumper and swing outs are around 225lbs. Then add another 90lbs for the tire & wheel, 30lbs+/- for the HiLift if you add one (345lbs +/-) constant weight. Also the factor for weight/load at the rear bumper is 1.25x so 345 x 1.25= 431lbs constant load. With that weight- you'll need an uprated coil. What to choose depends on how much additional load you plan to carry and what lift height you want to achieve in the back, as that also affects how much you need to adjust the front ( and may require updated alignment)

If you stick with OME coils, there's a few options to consider depending on how you generally use your truck. Haven't seen many here run these, but the 2866 is a variable rate coil, while its only 5mm taller than the 2865 (460mm) but the spring rate is 240/300 (vs 220) with a slightly thicker coil. So if you aren't looking for any additional lift from current set up this might be an option. I dont know how well the variable rate 2866 rides though. There's trim packers that can help adjust height as well. Next most popular option is 2863 which has a free height of 490/480 and 250 rate. 2863 should take your rear hub center to fender lip around 23~23.5 (maybe someone with 2863 and similar build can verify). FWIW 2864 put my rear height to 24.250- check my sig line for my build. I had to raise my front an inch to offset the stinkbug and still have about 2.5" rake. Plenty of members here run 2863 and can chime in.

And there are coils by other brands that have different rates, coil diameter and free heights that fall in between OME's springs so if you have the patience to study them you may find something that works closer to your intended needs.

Thanks, based on your information I'm thinking of 864s. I'd rather have it be a little stiff, then be bottoming out when rock crawling out of my hunting spot with an elk loaded on the truck. What do you think?

You def won't drag your butt with 2864's- they really dont ride stiff as much as they affect rear shock rebound which creates some jounce in a lighter set up. Depends on the valving in your shocks.

You def won't drag your butt with 2864's- they really dont ride stiff as much as they affect rear shock rebound which creates some jounce in a lighter set up. Depends on the valving in your shocks.

I have the Dobinson IMS extended travel shocks in the rear, soon in the front too. Thanks!

Congrats

it weighs about 150lbs, the springs i have are the ironman medium weight. I may add a one inch spacer but i can't say it needs it right now, maybe after i add the jerry can holder.

I've had really great luck with the progressive Tough Dog springs from Trail Tailor after adding a BIOR rear bumper.

Thanks I can't find the progressive springs on either the Tough Dog or Trail Tailor web sites can you send me a link?

I've got the same setup with the OME light duty coils, been going on 2 years with no sag or issues yet.

I noticed you have different caps on the swivel part of the swingout, they look like they have improved.

I like the bumper, powder coat was kind of weak and started chipping and showing signs of distress after it's first season.

Thanks I can't find the progressive springs on either the Tough Dog or Trail Tailor web sites can you send me a link?
Best if you send him an email or DM.
From my notes I think there's 2 tour flex options: 949L 280/220 18mm coil diameter, free height of 480/465 & the 949HL 330/180 19mm coil diameter free height 480/465

Best if you send him an email or DM.
From my notes I think there's 2 tour flex options: 949L 280/220 18mm coil diameter, free height of 480/465 & the 949HL 330/180 19mm coil diameter free height 480/465

Thanks will do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom