Purchase Replacement Certificates for New Tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering how often people have used these certificates on AT large truck tires? These are the certificates that offer free replacement if your tire gets damaged, blows, etc.

(4)Certificates for Repair, Refund or Replacement
for Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac$35.75$143.00Remove

These certs have proven to be well worth the money on my sedan with low profile tires, but not sure if about the likelihood of using the cert on a heavy duty truck tire. An extra $143 on a set of four tires.

Depends on what you're doing with your tires. Just last week I cashed in a certificate for replacement on a $250 all terrain tire with less than 5,000 miles on it. Sometime during a weekend of playing and exploring off road in Moab a very small piece of wood punctured the sidewall.
Maybe I'm a careless driver, but I also killed one all terrain tire on a previous Cruiser about 7 years ago.

I work for a company that sells extended warranties under a 3rd party name. Basically they are all really, really expensive insurance policies. Personally - and knowing what I know - I'd never buy road hazard or extended warranties. You're way better off to take the extra money you would spend and set it aside for a potential future mishap.

Ryan's case is pretty typical - yes, you may use your warranty at some point as it's the law of averages. But notice how he also used it once before "about 7 years ago." How many tires does the typical driver go through in 7 years? And assuming you bought the extended warranty for every tire you bought during those 7 years that you never used, how much did you spend? Again, just a personal opinion from an insider.

Depends on what you're doing with your tires. Just last week I cashed in a certificate for replacement on a $250 all terrain tire with less than 5,000 miles on it. Sometime during a weekend of playing and exploring off road in Moab a very small piece of wood punctured the sidewall.
Maybe I'm a careless driver, but I also killed one all terrain tire on a previous Cruiser about 7 years ago.

I got certs on my current set of five tires, only because I basically got two for free (they gave me a nice trade in on two of my old tires and transferred the certs). It was still $90+ for just the certs. I wouldn't have paid for all five though.

I can tell you from my personal experience that the Discout Tire certificate is a good deal. I have certs on every tire I own. The upfront charge really is not bad, and they have replaced a couple tires for me free of charge over the years. Two of them were BFG A/T KOs that suffered sidewall punchures from four-wheeling.

I pass on it for truck tires, just because they are relatively cheap. And when I say relatively cheap, I mean $100-200 per tire instead of $200-$400 per tire. I used to sell tire and wheel insurance, it was a good deal on cars with 18" wheels and low profile tires. Other than that, was just really expensive insurance as has been stated. The discount tire deal seems like a fair deal though.

Its paid off for me, if you run desert/rocks. The life time flat repair and balance is normally included. If you make a claim in 7 years then not worth it.

if you think one out of every 8 tires you buy will need to be replaced under the warranty then go for it. it's worth it for some people and not for others.

I wondered the same thing when I was buying my S/T Maxx's for my 60 recently. Cost to add the tires was another $100ish to the price (these were 31x10.5x15) but for me this was a big expense on the truck. However talking it through with their manager on duty he asked what I did with the truck. I told him that I regularly head up to a mountain lake and plan to do some light wheeling with the truck but aside from that it will be kept to dirt roads and street. With my S/T Maxx's they do not have a mileage warranty and the certificate allows for anything during the life of the tire (his words). So should I have an issue while wheeling or on the road, it does not matter as it will be covered.

That alone, along with the free rotations/balancing, was well worth the cost to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom