Pulling my 2f.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
So heres my scenario, it's 2 parts. My old 2f is about to kick the bucket and I've got another 2f sitting on the stand in my garage. My question is when removing the old engine is it easier to pull the tranny and transfer case as 1 unit with the engine, re-attach the new(used) engine and put everything back in or just pull the engine only. I plan on replacing the clutch when I pull the engine since I'm in there. Part 2 is since I've got the new(used) engine on the stand is there anything I could or should do prior to reinstalling the engine? Like having head work done, or a valve job etc. A full rebuild is not an option and I'd like to keep the spending $$ to a minimum. All opinions and ideas are appreciated!!

Test the compression if you can. That will probably give you the best evaluation of the top end aside from a leak down test. If the numbers look good, then everything else can be fixed / tuned while it's in the truck.

Pull it as one unit- but watch out, it's heavy. After checking out the new engine, you might want to reseal the valve cover, etc. At a minimum, you might install new seals on your transmission and transfer. :cheers:Ned

If you have the tools, (or can borrow them), I’d strongly suggest replacing the main seal in the replacement engine before installing it. (You know what they say: An ounce of prevention . . . .) :cheers:

I would leave the rear crossmember installed with transmission & TC and just pull the engine by what you are saying. If you are replacing the clutch, then I would just replace the rear main seal if it is questionable.

I would do a compression test on the new engine if you haven't done it. How many miles are on the new engine?

The new engine has around 130k. Thanks for the suggestions and keep em comming.

i pulled the motor and transmission out of my 40. i did do it seperate. that whole drivetrain is very very heavy. while you have it apart you should replace the rear main seal. and you will need help mating the 2 together again. make sure and apply a very thin amount of grease on the input shaft. and check and make sure the pilot bearing is in the rght spot. sometimes when you take the 2 apart the pilot bearing will come out of place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom