PSA - For Lifted 100s - Front extended sway bar links (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to put out a PSA on extended front sway bar links. I am not sure if they were not available when this 04 was built. It has 2.5 inch heavy lift from OME with ARB front bumper, slee skids, and slee sliders. Tires are 285/70 R 18. I changed to Trail Tailor extended front sway bar links yesterday and it is like I have whole new 100. Drives so much better. I highly recommend these to anyone with a lifted truck. The truck before the change always felt the front end was bound up and very tight. Feels back to stock now, just sitting 2.5 inches higher. It took under 30 minutes and did not remove the wheels. All my bolts were cooperating. ;<)

**No one has paid me to say this. This just has to be done if you have a lifted truck.

32811618-6A38-4987-BECF-6E82AF40BD51.jpeg

914F2DEC-F8B0-403A-8330-7BEC67F4C8EE.jpeg

What if you're only lifted 1.25" from AHC, would you benefit from this?

@FxFormat For the price and ease of install, I would say you have to try. It has made my truck that much better. 1.25 inches may not need it. If it does not help, you could easily sell them.
My truck has a diff drop as well.

My truck has every wear and tear items replaced by the dealer, i'm just looking for stuff to spend money on. Part of the fun for me is restoring these, but everytime i think my truck needs something, i go to check it and it's been replaced. :(

Only thing the dealer left for me were the heater tees.

I put on about 80k after a lift and left the front swaybar disconnected until I acquired these last year. Just purchased rear upper/lower TT control arms and rear extended links- time to get busy in the garage today.

Last edited:
I put these on. I didn't really notice a difference but my end links needed to be replaced anyway.

@
I put these on. I didn't really notice a difference but my end links needed to be replaced anyway.
diff drop and 2.5 inch lift? Mine is night and day.

Sway bars have zero effect on ride quality. They don't do anything driving down the road. All they do is exert a force opposite to the lean of the vehicle when cornering, to reduce body roll. The stock sway bar end links will limit articulation of the suspension off-road, the TT links provide more articulation by being longer. That's it.

I agree. Just feels 100% better. Before it was really stiff over bumps. No longer. Flexes better going in and out of drive ways. Feels like back to stock. There was a ton of tension on the stock sway bar links when undoing the top bolts. They wanted to pop off. No tension with the longer ones. Not really ride quality, just the fact that the suspension cycles easier. Still stiff with the OME lift. More like drive quality.

Last edited:
Less than 30 minutes however my bolts cooperated. Did not jack it up or remove wheels.

Sway bars have zero effect on ride quality. They don't do anything driving down the road. All they do is exert a force opposite to the lean of the vehicle when cornering, to reduce body roll. The stock sway bar end links will limit articulation of the suspension off-road, the TT links provide more articulation by being longer. That's it.
I agree. Just feels 100% better. Before it was really stiff over bumps. No longer. Flexes better going in and out of drive ways. Feels like back to stock. There was a ton of tension on the stock sway bar links when undoing the top bolts. They wanted to pop off. No tension with the longer ones. Not really ride quality, just the fact that the suspension cycles easier. Still stiff with the OME lift. More like drive quality.

The links (front or rear) correct the sway bar geometry after a lift is installed. Only time ride quality changes is in rolling and windy terrains. The lift changes the angle of the bar and if not corrected the vehicle will encounter more body roll before the sway bar reacts to the movement and functions as designed. Most that drive in a normal city environment of straight driving from stop light to stop light or driving down a highway will NOT really notice the correction. Unless changing lanes as fast and hard as possible is your driving style.

Now take someone that lives/drives in a windy road area or hit trails regularly and they will feel the difference as it has put the bar back into a better geometry and functions like Toyota designed it to. Restricting roll sooner since it is corrected. RTT, loaded rack owners notice it quickly as well.

Articulation.... it's an IFS and sucks for travel and articulation; period.

J

Last edited:
Interesting.. I'd think that lifting the car would preload the swaybar a bit with the stock links & reduce body roll because of this added spring tension. Not quite the opposite.

Interesting.. I'd think that lifting the car would preload the swaybar a bit with the stock links & reduce body roll because of this added spring tension. Not quite the opposite.
That was my thought too, so I'm definitely interested to find out that the opposite is true! Thanks for the information, Jason!

On second thought, the swaybar should "follow" the rise of the suspension on both sides, so there shouldn't be any tension on it really if both sides are raised evenly.

Thank you for all the insights. Learning a lot. Took my twisty road to work this morning and drive the 100 very hard. The VSC did not engage at the same curve at the same speed. The body roll is probably what I am experiencing. The backs were already done when I bought the truck. So much better. Not ride quality, drive quality. The front end feels like it is doing what it is suppose to now. Before very charring and tight. With the stock links everything seemed bound up. Best $110 I have spent on a 100 in a while.

Last edited:
I will eventually lift, currently leveled and do a fair amount of off road duty. Could definitely benefit from a bit more travel- will these work with stock(ish) setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom