Prospeed vs. prinsu vs. bowfin vs dissent roof racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.google.it
What is the difference is all these racks? Because they all look very similar. Honestly the dissent is the only one that looks different.

I've had both the ProSpeed and now Prinsu, both aver very similar in design, both are sturdy enough to throw an RTT on top and both do not make any noise if you install the fairing. The ProSpeed sits a little lower and is a little lighter, has separate mounting brackets vs Prinsu which is embedded into the 2 support bars itself.

ProSpeed
48027698982_30a4b09e6a_h.jpg

48659702252_e5136d63ba_h.jpg

Prinsu
49352639273_394824da22_h.jpg

48910827843_14b2c1c11f_h.jpg

The Prinsu runs more towards the front while the ProSpeed sits a little further back, both will clear the whale tail in the rear.

Never had a Bowfin but looks very similar and 3 racks use the same system, 2x 1/4" aluminum bars run along the body, and 80/20 Aluminum extrusions for crossbars and for strength. They look flimsy but once bolted together, it's pretty strong. I've had 300lbs worth of stuff on top for my cross country trip and nothing got ripped off.

All very similar design (except the dissent). The cutouts in the Bowfin rack are PERFECT for grabbing while entering/exiting/climbing up the cruiser. Also handy for securing loads. I use them every day.

Last edited:
I’m curious about the cut quality on the other aluminum racks. My second Prinsu I just put on my 4runner has some rough looking cuts and sharp edges.

I saw a picture of another vendors rack and the cuts were even worse. Can’t remember where, I think it was on a 4runner forum.

after doing much research and I mean a lot, I went with dissent front bull bar bumper and dissent roof rack. Not only does the profile seems to fit what I want but I'm a big fan of community support. Gamiviti would be my 2nd choice had I not seen the way the led bar looks on a dissent.

Prinsu/Bowfin/Prospeed all have a similar design: flat aluminum side rails mounted to the roof channel with 80/20 cross bars. The only differences seem to be in the shapes of the side rails.

The Dissent has a different design in that the cross bars mount to the roof channel mounts, and the side rails, which are bent plates, attach to the cross bars. Nothing against the 80/20 racks, since there's definitely an advantage to simplicity, but the Dissent is a bit more thought out.

BIOR, Dissent, Gamiviti and Rhino Rack (in alphabetical order) all support and attend the only 100 series event, HIH, and all make great products. Keep that in your mind as you shop.

thanks, I love that and want to support those who support us. I was really curious as it seemed to me a few of these were copies of each other.

Bior and Gamiviti and great
Owners of both are top notch

I had a Prinsu on a 4runner I bought a while ago and customer service was very poor
The quality of the Prinsu is lacking that of the other racks
I don’t have any experience with Dissent but I know they are good

Prinsu is Tslot pieces made into a rack
My .02

Can't speak for the others but I have a dissent and the quality is 11/10.

Lots of cooker cutter roof rack makers are flooding the market. Its a very simple design utilising 8020 cross bars, roof spacers, angled mounts and full length alumnium sidepieces. They are simple and light and can hold weight. The only thing preventing people from just making there own is the side panels that would be a pain to cut on their own without a cnc or laser cutter. Dissent is unique and makes amazing products.

I feel like I can load up a house on top of the Dissent rack and it will hold it just fine.

Reactions: BEG
I feel like I can load up a house on top of the Dissent rack and it will hold it just fine.

I would agree. I am a pretty heavy feller (like low-mid 200s) and I walk around on that thing like its nothing.

[Please forgive the related but slight threadjack] but how do the RTTs attach to these racks? I have an ARB rack on relatively low profile non factory mounts and i can barely squeeze my fat fingers and a ratcheting box wrench between the roof and rack and onto the nuts that hold the RTT on and it takes me way longer than I'd prefer. I just can't see how it happens at all with these designs. There must be some simple way that you need to see the rack to know about?

After a lot of research we purchased to Dissent Off-Road roof rack. The roof rack is supporting a James Barour Grand RAID XL RTT with addition storage on top. I’m not a little guy, I’m a former football player in the upper 250 lb. range. My wife and I spent 75+ nights in the RTT this last year driving the Dempster, the Dalton, Death Valley, Eastern Sierras and others with no issues from our Dissent roof rack. We have the light bar flaring and the wind noise is almost non existing. Ben at Dissent is a design and manufacturing genius. Go with the Dissent roof rack it’s the “Best in the business.”

CC25EB95-71FB-4153-92D2-AD493211E9A0.jpeg

6E143115-6D5F-4617-84D5-00DF32726277.jpeg

008559A7-5D0B-4150-A2D5-AFF4AEADA813.jpeg

[Please forgive the related but slight threadjack] but how do the RTTs attach to these racks? I have an ARB rack on relatively low profile non factory mounts and i can barely squeeze my fat fingers and a ratcheting box wrench between the roof and rack and onto the nuts that hold the RTT on and it takes me way longer than I'd prefer. I just can't see how it happens at all with these designs. There must be some simple way that you need to see the rack to know about?
I’m sure everyone has a different way of doing it, but I remove the two 8020 load bars that the tent will use, bolt them up, and drop the entire thing back on the top. From there it’s just 8 bolts that thread through the side rails into the cross rails.

Unless the side skirts are removable once the rack is assembled (ie they're not structural) I don't see how it can happen either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom