Propane Tanks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
As alot of you know, I maintain a trailer for our scout troop of 60 boys. We've been considering purchasing 5-gal propane tanks and the requisite distribution trees and lines to use with both our lanterns (which mount to the top of the trees) and our propane stoves for cooking. Beats the heck out of the little propane tanks.

My question - Does anyone know of a good way to securely mount 4 of these in a racking system? I've got space at the very rear of the trailer (inside), but am looking for suggestions on mounting/strapping them down. I can build a sturdy shelving system and router out the wood to set the circular base and top in to, but would still like some sort of strapping system to really hold them in place.

I don't want to mount them up on the front tounge. I've got enough weight on the front tounge of the trailer as it is (and I really don't want to know how much it really is or add more).

Thanks!

Can you get an adaptor attachement that will allow you to put a standard propane hose in place of the bottle? What about the added weight of the line hanging on the bottom of the lantern?

I am building a simlilar (one tank) holder into my kitchen box, the box will hold 2 burner aluminum camp stove, cooking gear, propane tank and hose, and will have a swing down fro for a work surface. I thought that if I routed out a hole for the bottom rim, and put a lid on the box, the tank isn't going to go anywhere.

Let us know what you come up with.

Mike S

Mike,

You can buy a propane distribution tree that screws into a 5-bal propane tank that comes up about three feet. There is one nozzle directly on top that a propane lantern fits on. So what you have is a lantern about 4-5 feet off the ground directly above the propane tank. These trees have two other distribution outlets that you screw hoses into that you can take directly to propane stoves. I've used this setup for quite some time with my personal camping gear. Only drawback is that you can't just pick up you lantern and carry it with you.

I'm looking for a way to safely secure and transport these 5-gal tanks in the trailer. Don't want them rolling around for obvious reasons.

If you want to do it nicely and safely - you may want to consider marine outfitters and see what they have. The regs are very strict for marine style storage - they will have secure mounts and proper venting (ie it could be a cabinet that you fit in the trailer).

Cheers, Hugh

If you were to router out the bottom of the shevles for the tanks, and then router out a top piece to be clamped down on top of the tanks, I see no reason that wouldn't be safe and easy to use.
BTW some friends use those trees with 5 gal tanks and stoves at their deer camp and it is a nice setup. Cheaper than the little tanks, easier than white gas (albiet not as hot).

Bailey - that's exactly what I'm considering doing, but I'd like to strap them to a back panel as well and it's straps that I'm not finding.

Check out West Marine. They have a lot of gear that is useful for the 4 wheeler. Draw latches, footman loops, straps, gas lines and valves, etc. Most of their stuff is available in stainless and or chrome plated bronze.

http://www.westmarine.com/

Scamper,

That's as close to anything I've been able to come up with. Those and some new shelving and we'd be good to go.

Thx.

Junk - design ideas maybe. Most of our troop is very young, so power tool projects are still pretty much in the realm of the dad's.

Aaw, what's the big deal? Who needs power tools? Let them use hand tools. Don't spoil them too much.

Well, we all know which power tool you prefer, don't we, long, slender, uses batteries. hehehe :flipoff2:

I think you have me mixed up with your squaw. :flipoff2: Here's a hint, when you get nekid, she's the one laughing :flipoff2: :D

Seriously - let the kids work a little bit.

brent, routing out two planks with circles is a great idea, get some all thread to bolt the two planks together and essentially sandwich the tanks. you then have a couple routes to secure the whole rig in a trailer. it could be simple as a ratchet strap, or bolting the base plank down. you could even run another plank across the front with some more all thread to bolt it to the side of the trailer. alot of options.

Info on propane tanks....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom