propane oxygen torch setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
does anyone have a propane/oxygen cutting torch setup? my dad has an oxy accetalyne setup that is great for brazing but can get pricy if we start cutting alot (plus im looking into a truck mounted torch setup for mainly heating and cutting) does anyone have experience with these and have any suggestions?

My experience is that you would have to do an awful lot of heating and cutting to make up for the difference in cost of acetylene and a new propane set up. OA cutting doesn't use that much A. Once you have a spot heated, you could shut off the A and do the cut only with O (not that that is a good idea, but you get the point).

does anyone have a propane/oxygen cutting torch setup? my dad has an oxy accetalyne setup that is great for brazing but can get pricy if we start cutting alot (plus im looking into a truck mounted torch setup for mainly heating and cutting) does anyone have experience with these and have any suggestions?

The only difference between an oxy/acetylene cutting set and a
oxy/propane setup, is the cutting tip.
Acetylene gauge screws right into propane tank,..takes more fuel pressure, longer preheat, I don't really see the big advantage :meh:

the advantage for me at least is i would be able to transport a propane oxy torch with out the issues of having to keep the acetylene tank upright, also propane can be filled anywhere and i get it dirt cheap cuz we have a big tank for the house.

I actually like cutting with propane better. I felt like it cut cleaner and easier.

I've used propane a lot for cutting. I prefer acetylene, but Propane has it's place. Propane is convenient, but it takes a lot more to do the same job.

the advantage for me at least is i would be able to transport a propane oxy torch with out the issues of having to keep the acetylene tank upright, also propane can be filled anywhere and i get it dirt cheap cuz we have a big tank for the house.

I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that unless you're using several oxygen tanks, you'll run out of oxygen before you run out of acetylene. A small bottle of acetylene shouldn't be much of a hassle.

I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that unless you're using several oxygen tanks, you'll run out of oxygen before you run out of acetylene. A small bottle of acetylene shouldn't be much of a hassle.
Either way using both propane or acetylene your going to use more oxygen than fuel. especially when cutting, but with acetylene when it is transported it is supposed to have time to settle due to how the tank is built. there is a core in it that somehow makes acetylene. All I was saying with propane theres none of that hassle for a truck mounted torch setup. Plus i have extra propane bottles laying around. Yes i would have to get oxygen bottles but any type of welding tank is getting very expensive to own and i prefer to own over lease because i am young and it makes sense to own something your gonna have the rest of your life anyways.

I'm curious. Is this propane (or acetylene)/ oxygen torch setup going in an 80 series? I've thought about doing that with mine, but that would take some work. I wouldn't know where to start.

80s series land cruiser? no, i was planning on building a utility body work/welding truck tacoma but i just got a deal on a tundra so now the tacoma is for sale.

I was just mainly curious if anyone had used a propane oxy setup. One of the other pluses is propane doesnt make the black poofy things when lighting it.

I just put it on the road yesterday lol, it needs some work (whole front clip plus manifolds) im probably going to do a complete exhaust including stainless cats and clean up the body alittle bit maybe paint or plasti dip it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom