Builds Project Patina-November 1968 FJ-40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a really cool old train at Canton by Barnett Phillips.
View attachment 1597346

Absolutely LOVE everything you've done with your truck! Giving me some really good ideas how to deal with the patina on my 40 moving forward. Need to figure out what to do with the s***ty primer the PO applied in a few spots and seal everything up with BLO like you've done.

Somewhat related - I love trains just as much as I love old trucks - is that something that's usually around? Would really enjoy seeing it in person some day.

I’ve not checked lately to see if it’s there. They have had it working but I’m thinking that will be its primary parking spot.

Aircraft strip will get the primer off and leave the base coat.

I used the small concentrate Goof Off. Lots of rubbing.

Love your FJ! I recently pickup up a 71' that is weathered, but does not have nearly as much character as yours has, and I have decided to retain as much of its original paint as possible. I just wanted to ask how you're liking the Yokohama tires so far? I like the tall skinny look and am also looking at getting a 235/85R16, but I am on the fence. Everytime I think i've decided on a tire, I start reading a review on another one I hadn't considered, and it just keeps snowballing from there...Thanks!

*Edit: I just stumbled across your comparison thread in the Tire Tech section and am going to read it now, the KM3 7.05/16 was one of my other choices, I didn't realise you were running them on the Goat!

Last edited:
I’ve got no complaints with the Yokohama or the KM3. I’ve 2 sets of KM3. @rustED71

Both MTs handle well and are so far quiet too.

I like the square look of the Yokos v the round look of the KM3 the best though.

I’ve got no complaints with the Yokohama or the KM3. I’ve 2 sets of KM3. @rustED71

Both MTs handle well and are so far quiet too.

I like the square look of the Yokos v the round look of the KM3 the best though.

Thanks for your input. I don't suppose you see alot of snow in Mississippi, that's another consideration for me. We still have about 2 feet of snow, but once it melts then I will be dealing with mud. I haven't been able to find any reviews on how the KM3 does in snow. I know neither tire is designed for that purpose, I like both tires, and hoping one will meet my needs. Otherwise I hear good things about Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (except questionable sidewall issues) and I've read good things about Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx...too many choices!!! Sorry for the thread hijack, I don't mean to turn your thread into another MT Tire debate...thanks!

Headed out for Brookhaven Toyota Cars and Coffee tomorrow towing the Goat Tail

209ED2AE-A862-4B05-B1C7-5FA0B4F28F12.jpeg

150 mile trouble free ride on a beautiful Saturday topped off with a Lou’s Brisket sammich and some new seats for the Warthog

1CF5EAD5-B02D-480B-860F-59EE4931D82C.jpeg

F9C298E7-EA3B-4D82-860C-DE0CD05FA6B6.jpeg

D8B7EA07-8E8F-44EC-88D8-BCDDE9BD7765.jpeg

5DD06548-8596-4915-91FE-2280FBE1CAE4.jpeg

2230BC7C-CABA-4C1B-9AAA-33F9704B5D6B.jpeg

Intake manifold. Ugh.

My buddy @RustyNailJustin sent me an FJ60 intake manifold but it has a broken ear.

Rob told me he had a good one that did not need welding and had no EGR ports at DNPs shop.

I jumped on it. Got it super clean. Went to bolt it up and fuuuuuuuuck it an F manifold with 10mm bolt holes, not 12mm.

View attachment 1296107View attachment 1296110
@SHREG this is where I was getting the F intake to fit on the 2F motor.

Which brings me back to Project Patina at her 3 year rebirth anniversary

Time to start a new set of projects.

She has assumed the “long term project” spot in Tilda Bogue Service Station

C91C3E63-82A3-49FE-AA90-414790E35747.jpeg

@SHREG this is where I was getting the F intake to fit on the 2F motor.

Which brings me back to Project Patina at her 3 year rebirth anniversary

Time to start a new set of projects.

She has assumed the “long term project” spot in Tilda Bogue Service Station

View attachment 1964838
5-speed?!?

5-speed?!?

Man. With the tires it has and the split case it’s perfect. No need. I don’t really need the lower crawler gear so the drivetrain is staying the same.

When I did this motor @wct49 gave me a 2 piece header and Rob gave me an intake manifold. I rolled with both and knowing what I know now I would have done neither.

The 2 piece header has always hit my frame and the bulky collector is a furnace.

Since my motor mounts have settled in, I have a massive rattle where the header hits the frame.

28732B67-BC21-4876-A6A8-95C2D3C96228.jpeg

My plan was to ditch the header all together but then I realized the late exhaust manifold I just paid $125 to have ceramic coated won’t work with my F intake without jacking up a lot of things.

65BD88B1-2C97-4384-B402-8EAF52EF7511.jpeg

So, I ordered another JT Outfitters header like I just put in the Warthog.

I’ll get rid of the rattle and not have to reinvent the wheel with my F intake that was a nightmare to make work on the 2F

Also, I’ve been collecting parts to do a Saginaw PS swap. AGR box, CityRacer OEM
Copy pump. Brackets. Getting the plate and shaft and stuff from Mike @Cruiser Corps

10217E4C-B0B8-4E71-8637-4A5C6ABA386B.jpeg

Anyone want a ceramic coated 2F exhaust manifold?

The truck drives great with the skinny tires but the slack in my steering is incredible.

I’ve never done one with this generation steering shaft so wish me luck.

AF441011-B603-46B8-8B38-4DC11ABB5BB5.jpeg

ABDA775A-4E4E-4D9A-AAB5-B37001B20373.jpeg

Took the day off to work on my lean-to and the guy helping me was late so I spent 2 hours getting this rusty ass bumper off.

A007DDAE-6016-4026-B05A-94A1BC1A4737.jpeg

I’ll take the front end off and the driver fender to make it easy to work on the Saginaw

While it’s out I’m replacing my harmonic balancer. Mine is horribly wobbling. So bad it killed my alternator pulley bearing.

Also, I’ve been collecting parts to do a Saginaw PS swap. AGR box, CityRacer OEM
Copy pump. Brackets. Getting the plate and shaft and stuff from Mike @Cruiser Corps

View attachment 1965293

Anyone want a ceramic coated 2F exhaust manifold?

The truck drives great with the skinny tires but the slack in my steering is incredible.

I’ve never done one with this generation steering shaft so wish me luck.

View attachment 1965285

View attachment 1965290

Took the day off to work on my lean-to and the guy helping me was late so I spent 2 hours getting this rusty ass bumper off.

View attachment 1965292

I’ll take the front end off and the driver fender to make it easy to work on the Saginaw

While it’s out I’m replacing my harmonic balancer. Mine is horribly wobbling. So bad it killed my alternator pulley bearing.

You aren’t going to use Georg’s Saginaw pump conversion? Hands down better than the stock pump?

You aren’t going to use Georg’s Saginaw pump conversion? Hands down better than the stock pump?

I love the stock pump. My setup won’t need extra power for large tires or a locker so it will be good.

Got a link or source on this?

Valley Hybrid Saginaw should turn up a few dozen threads.

It uses a nice wide billet pulley, mounting bracket and the age old “canned ham” Chevy Nova Saginaw pump.

Putting these photos here so I remember how this spaghetti lines back up
B6674D06-32FD-4963-A51D-706ACA659F47.jpeg
0BF5C19B-8210-4BB5-848B-09759E434FCA.jpeg

Peeled the onion back a bit more after getting home

64E738CF-9792-4D30-A3F1-61F1CD489DE6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom