Builds Project Patina-November 1968 FJ-40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's just a 90 degree tee off the existing exhaust. It need not be straight, just the proper length pipe terminating in a closed end.

You can buy them but lenth and width is based off your current resonance levels ( yes thats an incorrect audiology term likely). But it has to be length tuned to cancel out the soundwaves being currently produced. Cool science. A few in our club have added with success.

I bought a used 8274 to install on my FJ60. Picked it up at the Crawl.

Tried to install it on the 60 and that is not going to work how I want so I decided to stick it on Patina and clean up the old tow bar crap that was still up there.

B47D15CB-6977-4C35-8E4D-13ACD71C8ADD.jpeg

4E75E5E7-B878-46AB-809E-0CDE863F99EB.jpeg

Of course it was not a direct bolt in. The old school Bellview style Warren that was on it used 6 bolts and none of the motor side bolts lined up.

But I made it work.

The only goofy thing is that the remote is backwards (or the wiring inside the cover is) and you have to press up to make it spool in and down when want it to go out.

It was rebuilt so I’m sure the guy got the wires crossed in there. Just have to figure out which ones.

D982B085-B6D8-42F7-9BD8-E7EFC2DA9930.jpeg

Looks great, @Bossman knows the inards of a 8274 pretty dang good.

That’s an old 3 pin connector right? You just need to figure out which pin does what. Leave the remote off and use a quarter (or similar) to connect two of the pins. You’ll have it sorted out in 3 minutes

There are four pins but I think only three are used% I’ll check on one of mine

Request:

Please recreate your avatar pic with Patina as she sits today (tires, winch etc.)

Then post it and send me a high res so I can make a poster for my garage.

Thx

Request:

Please recreate your avatar pic with Patina as she sits today (tires, winch etc.)

Then post it and send me a high res so I can make a poster for my garage.

Thx

Garage has changed and the truck is too tall for that door in the garage now but here is my best

EF14AC10-CEF9-4D7E-9DCB-8555D7C3DD2A.jpeg

Just finished catching up with this awesome/entertaining build thread.
Great stuff :cheers:

Still a work in progress. Truly one of the best driving Land Cruisers I’ve ever driven. Love it. Thanks for reading.

I’ve become a bit obsessed with chasing the air and water leaks on Patina. I thought I had most of them sealed until I took it to the Crawl and it leaked on me all day Saturday in the rain.

I started reading Mud and found reference to 3M strip caulk.
B76865A1-23A8-4855-AB63-5BCEDF6D78D4.jpeg

I bought a box off Amazon and finally got around to hunting down the leaks. Most of mine were where my fiberglass cap attaches. The steel ring onnmune is so rusted I don’t think I could ever get it back on if I took it off for a new rubber gasket.

03143AAC-2789-4776-9F92-A113B0D96210.jpeg

I took my work light and shined it out
From inside and found all the places that light was coming through (which was a lot) and pushed this stuff into the gaps.

37EA83EF-5BA2-48EC-A0FF-768999852644.jpeg

C0E897B5-9B58-4103-BE63-9799F7956B68.jpeg

It’s like silicone but stays malleable and removable if you remove the top later.

2BBD2700-9A71-4774-8288-AAD554B804E4.jpeg

I finished up plugging all the little firewall holes I had not done in the past. That is where the biggest help is for heat and noise

On the muffler, I had one off of a 2016 Silverado installed and its nice. It was pulled brand new and duals installed so it had hardly any use. Fit in the factory location very nicely.

I’ve become a bit obsessed with chasing the air and water leaks on Patina. I thought I had most of them sealed until I took it to the Crawl and it leaked on me all day Saturday in the rain.

I started reading Mud and found reference to 3M strip caulk.
View attachment 1863731
I bought a box off Amazon and finally got around to hunting down the leaks. Most of mine were where my fiberglass cap attaches. The steel ring onnmune is so rusted I don’t think I could ever get it back on if I took it off for a new rubber gasket.

View attachment 1863730

I took my work light and shined it out
From inside and found all the places that light was coming through (which was a lot) and pushed this stuff into the gaps.

View attachment 1863726
View attachment 1863728

It’s like silicone but stays malleable and removable if you remove the top later.

View attachment 1863729

I finished up plugging all the little firewall holes I had not done in the past. That is where the biggest help is for heat and noise
Today would be a great day to determine if your efforts paid off!

I’ve had some clunking in my suspension and pretty much decided it had to be the bushings.

That’s odd since I just put them I’m 3 years ago.

Well I pulled one spring and sure enough whatever bushing I used back then was/is garbage (not sure of the brand but they are yellow and hard as rocks)

Not OME because I have stock springs.

Whatever they are, they suck.

I took @Godwin advice this round and ordered up a set of Energy Suspension bushings.

Will see how they do.

D99731A0-B92E-4D3B-8B75-AF7766A54FBD.jpeg

84318F06-229D-4A3E-870D-8C1781E76F8A.jpeg

42B9DC68-B83D-4EC8-A0C4-F97D3189A73F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom