Project: Buyers Remorse FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This one has a oil separator that looped back to the York. Looked pretty simple. I'd rather do something else... If I had a co2 tank in there I could run a keg off it too! Although that'd be trouble. I like the idea of a big DC compressor mounted in the back.

Ty, if you decide to install that York, I have some good info on how to modify it to reduce the oil transfer to the air tanks.
Thanks Al!

This one has a oil separator that looped back to the York. Looked pretty simple. I'd rather do something else... If I had a co2 tank in there I could run a keg off it too! Although that'd be trouble. I like the idea of a big DC compressor mounted in the back.
You around this weekend?

Tacked in some transmission mounts. Figured I should do that end first because it'll help square up the engine. These are actually quite a bit thicker than they look in the picture. Welded a plate on the back of them to spread the load. The old mounts actually tore the frame a little bit.

20160125_140954_zpsvldvivo3.jpg

Got rid of the fender well headers and glass pack exhaust. Threw on some block hugger headers I had laying around from my 55. Also using the old 55 engine mounts to help center the engine. New setup will look way different. Also ripped the stock manual steering box out, looking for a fj60 box if anyone has one laying around.
20160125_141648_zpsro7obzav.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got the drive-train mounted and welded. Bought some muscle car engine mounts that have the rubber built in and they clear the headers by a mile. Found out I can reverse the driveshafts and they both fit, might trim the splines a little because they are actually a little too long.

20160126_141442_zpsfslz4fve.jpg

I found a rats nest underneath the dash! I hacked and hacked and eventually cleared most of it out. Still haven't tackled the gauges themselves. Looks like the guy took the original Land Cruiser fuse block and then spliced in this Chevy wiring harness on top of it. The Land Cruiser fuse block looks to be in surprisingly good shape but I'm still planning a complete rewire. With a little luck I may be able to fire it back up by then end of the week. Although it won't have steering and only enough wiring to run the engine so still not driveable...but firing up with just headers should still be exciting!
20160126_154030_zpspcrgkspc.jpg

Yeah, there's about 2" of mud/rocks in the frame from the front axle back. Made some progress today...

Nice. Would have preferred something a little heavier than U2 though :rimshot:

Nice project to make it correct / your way. Screw down seats you say - hum Makes me feel better about my 3rd FJ40 build I've been doing for 3 years now. Keep finding out on this 1970 on how early and different it is from the 1976 and the 1972. I doing just like you dropping cash into it to make it our way. Ya I have brackets to remove from the frame also. Good news is what you tend to put into it and explain your build to a buyer you can get most of your money out of it and have the fun of building the rig. Boy that dash is ugly even for diamond plate = I do have a FJ40 dash - (cab) early model 1973 I think if you plan on changing out the aluminum diamond plate. I've stripped pretty much everything else off it already. Bye, Ty2

Ummmm rats nest anyone? Yanked the diamond plate dash. Ty C, I'll take you up on that dash although I'm not sure how I'd ever be able to get it from you.
20160524_140847_zpsodx1hprs.jpg

Where's the other 50% of the dash? Got the steering wheel mounted and I'm working on putting in the fj60 box now.
20160524_202856_zpsopdiadrf.jpg

After some ghetto wiring to the 77 wiring harness on the imported steering column I got it running from the key! Only to find out my, new to me gas tank, pickup was clogged and would only allow 3 minutes of run time. Enough time for me to back it out of the shop, engage 4wd, test my new disc brakes and then die in the middle of the driveway. Yes, that is a beer in a random persons hand on the left.
20160705_163528_zpsmq6tbnhq.jpg

The "new" ghetto wiring and gauge mounts... Yes, that's masking tape! Also dug out the flaming river kill switch I bought from Chris a couple years ago.
20160713_135434_zpstraxv116.jpg

Some new toys to fill the gaping holes in the dash. Glove box door. Found for a reasonable price on eBay thanks to some misspellings and a new gauge cluster from metal tech for my insane amount of gauges. Yeah, I got a gas gauge... No, it's not hooked up to anything.
20160713_135428_zpsvqpk9jgg.jpg

What's this crap? Does anyone know where the red, blue, black, green, yellow, purple wires go? If you want something done right, do it before you've had too much beer!
20160713_135451_zpsr51wcric.jpg

... And as far as the clogged gas pickup tube goes... Well that'll be next week.

Last edited:
Although sometimes entertaining.
Its mostly irritating to fix a mess that should have never been made.

Just because you have tools doesn't mean you should use them.

Hey! You talking to me??:moon:

Got my new fuel pick up and sending unit in the mail. Unfortunately the "universal" 5 hole pattern does not apply to Land Cruiser's so I had to drill my own holes. New one on the left old one on the right.
20160718_101910_zpsx4wy34sl.jpg

The 40 doing a little work around the yard... Pushing / pulling the 55 into the shop... Hmmmm... I realized the universal tire size for Land Cruiser's at my house is 37". Kinda nice actually, although it'd be nicer if they were all the same lug pattern too!
20160719_152522_zps4meygqye.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom