Primed surface (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Typically how long can you go with a primer surface before painting?

I am Having Body Work done on my 60. But i can't do the paint right away. It's not my DD But it lives outside in Colorado.

From my experience if you seal the primer you can go a while. Prime coat, sealer, paint. I primed and sealed my topper for my trailer and tarped it for the winter and it was fine all winter. I painted it a few weeks ago and it was fine. I wouldn't let just the primer sit without sealing it. It is porous and will let moisture through.

Primer sealer, huh?

can i get that in rattle can? I don't expect that the entire Truck will be Primered when i get it back, just the fenders and some other small areas.

I really appreciate your help!

I got Duplicolor at my parts store (any parts store) and it worked great for my project. I put on three coats of prime and three, I think , of sealer. I gave it a light sanding before I put the top coat on. You might need to do a bit of work before you paint it to get it smoothe but I think you will be fine. At the very least, it won't rust through the primer.

depending on the "type" of primer, you could or could not have problems. Hotrodders drive around in primer all the time. Now if you primed it in a primer with a mandatory re-coat window, then you are:flipoff2:ed.

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom