Builds Previously known as the 'One Week Resto' now Pathetically keeping it alive... 500k (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saw this at a gas station off the taconic parkway in ny

80 series chassis wide body 4 door aqualu cruiser... took off before I was able to finish poring my coffee ... son saw it ... he wants one

Went to their web page there is a few more pics of it

IMG_2390.JPG

Doors are not getting any closer to being done ... not even one :)

But awhile ago I got a belated bday present for myself... before they are all gone ...

I got the repo door safety straps from Mike... man they are VERY good ... my original set has been deteriorating fast ... now I can put those away and use these beauties :)

Thanks Mike!!! @majojo4

Btw I run with two clips on each ... my drivers side uses the oem clips on the repro strap ... great stuff

IMG_2481.JPG

One oem FST canvas door done... one to go

And the kitchen is closer as well... can't do it all... had to get outside help this year ... curriculum writing for past two weeks and old man back prevent me from playing as much as I used to lol

working on the cruiser doors keeps the sanity :)

IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG
IMG_2507.JPG

Started other door... but... cruiser was acting up so had to deal with that

Every once in awhile the truck would die ... checked fuses and most everything associated with fuel pump (electric)

Decided to just go and replace it and it seems to have corrected the issue ... also bent some new fuel lines... when replacing the pump fuel was seeping from the lines

Bad rusty fuel lines lol since we like pics :)

IMG_2533.JPG

Well the fuel pump corrected the issue... for a short time lol

Started dying when driving again ... disconnected the electric to new fuel pump (Bosch) and put to directly to 12v and got nothing ... and very hot ...

Got a generic 12v like I had before ... 4psi output ... runs great again... I would have thought German engineers would have done a better job lol

Meet a Landy guy with a 109 outside local Home Desperate ... nice rig ... nice guy

IMG_2604.JPG

Saw this at a gas station off the taconic parkway in ny

80 series chassis wide body 4 door aqualu cruiser... took off before I was able to finish poring my coffee ... son saw it ... he wants one

Went to their web page there is a few more pics of it

View attachment 1477371

Sweet! I always suspected they were good folk! This stuff is pretty darn good in my estimation. Dutchess Private
Reserve.
IMG_6936.JPG

Carry on! :beer:

Loookin' good Johhny!
What's the story on your black bib? I like it more each time I see it.

Did poor Wally give your backup switch a stern look yet?

Last edited:
@thebigredrocker

The black bin was a remnant from the PO 30 years ago ... it was. Lack when the bib was its original 74' bib... when I changed over to the 64' bib I went black again

I didn't feel it would be the same truck without it :)

I have bought a backup switch ... but... really need to get a 24mm stubby wrench to get it out

It has been good for awhile

Wishful thinking says it fixed its self :meh:

Or maybe the thought of tyke scared it into working correctly LOL

I do need to get up to tykes ... thinking Monday for just doing a road trip to say hi... as my kitchen remodel will be done tomorrow

Partial cruiser related...

Kids have a habit of knocking over my stuff... one thing is my bike ... my old mirror could not take the abuse lol

found a use for my old oem side view mirrors... looks good ... and the mirror bracket for the bike is also a made in Japan accessory for the old girl

Have to keep the good eye on the look out when biking with the kids

:)

IMG_2714.JPG
IMG_2712.JPG
IMG_2713.JPG

@brian.

I got burned once with fuel in the oil pan ... went to electric

That was 25+- years ago ... this was only technically the second fuel pump I needed to replace in all that time ... and well over 200,000 miles ... not bad in my book

As cheap as these box fuel pumps are they have been great

I had bought the Bosch as a replacement when the box pump goes ... it's been on a shelf for 15+ years waiting to be an upgrade ... but... not so

The best part (I feel) about the box pump is its noisy ... when I get in ... key on I hear it ... I know it's on... and a few other benefits

Mechanical has it's benefits as well as an electric... I just happen to go that route ... LONG ago :meh:

:)

it's the noise i can't deal with.

I used to think that as well... I did get used to it... and like I said it has its benefit to be loud

That was one reason for the Bosch when I bought it (quiet)... friend had one on his 914 as well as his bug he raved how it's quiet and most guys he knew ran it as well with their webers... it's 4psi max... got the part number from him and bought it... put it on shelf and waited for its use :)

That's what I get for listening to a VW guy lol

Just a thought, but the older CIS injected VW's ran both an intake pump and a an inline pump to boost the pressures for the craptastic Bosch injection systems. Maybe that pump was never designed to be used as a stand-alone, or it was just a dud.

Just a thought.... Maybe that pump was never designed to be used as a stand-alone, or it was just a dud.

That's a thought... I do not know really... but... I am pretty sure he (as well as others) had used it as a single pump. I know for sure he had it as a single pump on his 73'? Bug ... he had a weber 32/36 on that

His 914 had dual webers ... but... mentioned he had the same on that

I am thinking it was a dud ... but... kinda thought being Bosch it would have performed better

Lost touch with the old fellow ... if I run into him next time I'm down for a family visit I will need to go off on him lol

In a good way ... and for other reasons :)

Update to this thread:
Intermittent oh crap

I went to the 'PO Manual' and opened to the 'quick temp fix' section

I made a jumper to go from battery (stupid looking red wire) to the power in side of the ballast

Already had a quick disconnect to jump over for ballast bypass ... for those quick check times when and if it didn't start

Then went to the obvious culprit of my recent issue of dying while driving ... the ignition switch

The little screw (that holds the switch in) I almost lost ... took pic before I pulled out switch

It did dawn on me that I had this issue before ... maybe 25-26 years ago ... and sure enough when I pulled off the ignition switch I saw the scribe mark the I made marking the position of the switch in it's off position

I had it apart before... but... didn't have any real issue that was seen when I had it apart .. lubed and reinstalled ... hay that lasted 25+ years

So this time I gave a spritz of crc electrical cleaner ... then crc electrical lube into the access hole on the switch

Works great now

It's amazing that once you start digging in... the memories return

Soooo issue solved ... again... next time I'll probably buy a new switch ... probably buy one to keep for just in case :)

Yes they are $20 aftermarket and I highly recommend Kurt to pick that up from ... but... I am cheap lol

I will purchase a new one from him if this 'fix' fails anytime soon ... but... it may last another 25 years... time will tell

I might remove the red wire soon ... I don't want my truck to look too much like a cobjob :meh:

Hummm too late I think

IMG_2733.JPG
IMG_2743.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom