Presta vs schrader valves (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How do you know the valves are leaking? Do you have a slow leak in the tube? Are you inflating with CO2? If so, CO2 will leak out of most inner tubes. That's why after a trail flat-fix, you go home, let the CO2 out, and pump with real air.

Good presta valves can be disassembled, or at least removed from the valve stem. So if you are overly 'vigorous' in unscrewing them, they could come out. But screwing them back down should take care of that.

Last, good luck finding decent rims that will take a schreader valve.

You should always check your air pressure anyway. A few pounds of pressure can make a big difference over a long ride.

Presta are better, and tubes leak even if your valve is perfect.

Also, assuming you have wheels designed for presta you'll have to drill out your rims (if possible) to adapt to the wider schrader type.

I don't know why presta are considered better, other than the fact that the stems are metal and seem to not get stem leaks like schraders do. Then again, I replace tubes often enough that its not been an issue.

I've run both presta and schrader and prefer schrader. Then again, I also run ghetto tubeless and fill my tires with my Powertank. Its much easier to use the power tank on a schrader valve than it is to use on a presta. I know they make an adapter but the adapter leaves much to be desired.

x2 Tiger Stripe!!!!

why does anyone on here believe that presta valves are better??? really, why?

i have busted so many presta tubes at the valve stem (dozens) and usually when about 10 miles from a road...or had the pin screw off and not be able to refit it into the tube.

seems to me that "someone up high" at the tube companies has instigated this "presta is better than schrader" hogwash.

i will now only use schrader tubes for the rest of my life; you can fill them at a gas station anywhere, and it only cost me $5 or $10 to have the local bike shop owner drill out my nice rim to fit schraders...seemed like he had done it a few times before.
:popcorn:

Have you guys weighed both the valve stems to compare?! Some of you dorks are counting grams and there is going to be a price to pay :hillbilly:

:D

I don't know why presta are considered better, other than the fact that the stems are metal and seem to not get stem leaks like schraders do. Then again, I replace tubes often enough that its not been an issue.

I've run both presta and schrader and prefer schrader. Then again, I also run ghetto tubeless and fill my tires with my Powertank. Its much easier to use the power tank on a schrader valve than it is to use on a presta. I know they make an adapter but the adapter leaves much to be desired.

Have you tried the Prestaflator? I have one and it works great with the air compressor.

I have never had a problem with the $1 brass adapter. Been able to seat the beads on tubless tires every time. :meh:

I just like the fact that the presta valve does not get contaminated and you do not need the valve cap like with a schrader. I have had a few schraders stop working because goop got stuck in the interior of the valve and I had to swap the entire tube out and use a tree branch to clean it out.

I guess I'm a presta snob. I used to be a roadie and ride tubular tires which were presta valved for either very high pressures or for wieight saving.

I only ride presta now for mountain biking and have probably 3 wheelsets at home that have never seen dirt, as I switched out to a hand built Chris King wheelset with presta valves for each bike.

How do you get slime into those presta valved tubes?

Removable valve cores--some tubes have them, some do not.

I guess I'm a presta snob. I used to be a roadie and ride tubular tires which were presta valved for either very high pressures or for wieight saving.

I only ride presta now for mountain biking and have probably 3 wheelsets at home that have never seen dirt, as I switched out to a hand built Chris King wheelset with presta valves for each bike.

I guess I am too. I don't give the presta/schrader thing a lot of thought. All our bikes are presta. Have been for years and years.

I take a rat-tail file to all my rims, and gently file them out to accept schraders. I've busted several rims in my time, but I've never had a break due to the modification. Prestas are the way to go for roadbikes, but they are a royal pain in the ass in a mtb environment. I once (looong time ago) lost a mtb race due to yanking a presta valve apart with a mini pump.

I live in a rural area, and I often travel with my bike. I've bought schraders at old western autos, hardware stores and such. If you don't travel with enough prestas, you'll be out of luck.

I say stick with the presta...I pump mine up before each ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom