Prepping my 100 for an Africa-Adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like a big job, yes. I suppose this will prevent rust for a few years, and looking good as well.
Which products did you use?

(Asking because I'm very sceptical to rust converters, and believe that there is no such product that prevents new rust to develop underneath. I have tried Rust Bullet myself, and found that after 5 years, it starts to come off; but not with a lot of new rust under, so it seems to have some effect)

Looks like a big job, yes. I suppose this will prevent rust for a few years, and looking good as well.
Which products did you use?

(Asking because I'm very sceptical to rust converters, and believe that there is no such product that prevents new rust to develop underneath. I have tried Rust Bullet myself, and found that after 5 years, it starts to come off; but not with a lot of new rust under, so it seems to have some effect)

I cant remember which rust converter/primer i have had. It was a spray can which changed color over night to black with a glossy finish. In all the places i didnt use rust converter (there wasnt rust everywhere) i have used some kind of silver zinc primer which i was told, should be a great surface for the thick underbody coat.
the underbody product is the one of which you can see about eight cans on the picture.
It is safe to use in carwashes and prevents the rust or at least the rust that remained to get on hold.
Eventough you cant really see the difference from before/after, i just love that i have done this.

Today I testfitted my new bullbar from RockArmor. As it is forbidden to have them on in Switzerland, i cant drive around with it.
Also i have installed a dual air horn. Also forbidden in switzerland, so as long as i am here, i wont use it. But i guess its never bad to have a loud horn to get around in africa traffic.
Next steps will be:

- installing dual battery system with new battery and wiring to the back of the car.
- Inside LED-upgrade
- New 12V Outlets
- New 230V Outlets
- Hood and tailgate struts
- Tailgate lighting
- lower Tailgate new liner

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

Last edited:
Here another pic of the not yet installed Bull bar.

IMG_1971.jpg

I have as well installed a dashcam on the righthand side of the rear view mirror, nicely tucked away, wiring all in the roof liner. I will get some pics of it later. here is the product i have bought and i'm quite satisfied.

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1753.JPG

UPDATE:

- apart from installing my new dash cam, i installed a dual battery setup by T-Max as well as an additional auxiliary output in the center console storage.
- LED-Lighting in the interior as well as on the trunk lid which gives me light on the working surface.
- The working surface has been updated to a high strenght plastic material which is 8mm thick.

here are some pics of my progress:

P1020234.jpg

P1020235.jpg

P1020250.jpg

P1020247.jpg

P1020249.jpg

Almost forgot: Changed out my third tail light which was cracked and leaked into the trunk. Original part for 120$.

QUESTION: Does the leaking have something to do with my alarm going off from time to time? (have read much --> cellphone, microwave, moisture...)

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

Lots of good work.
Re the alarm going off: There's a plug in the lower left corner of the tailgate, which is wrapped in foam. The foam soaks up water and keeps the plug nice and wet. Remove the foam (it's an anti-rattle device), clean up the plug, and no more false alarms. Hopefully.

Lots of good work.
Re the alarm going off: There's a plug in the lower left corner of the tailgate, which is wrapped in foam. The foam soaks up water and keeps the plug nice and wet. Remove the foam (it's an anti-rattle device), clean up the plug, and no more false alarms. Hopefully.

I have read about this where you described the same solution to the issue in another Land Cruiser Forum, only problem is, i can not find the plug mentioned. have looked several times and couldnt find one. neither in the lower tailgate or the upper or the frame arount the tailgates. is it under where the carpet was on the tailgate?
in the meantime the alarm kept going off few times..

Looks great, I'm guessing the temperatures will mainly be warmer where you're going?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom