PrecisionLED Interior LED Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just installed my kit today, much much brighter than above pics depict. Its soo bright I am worried the fuzz will pull me over for looking suspicious. The amount of light is nearly blinding. Stock halogen lights always felt dim and made car feel old.

Seeing 1000% better seems to be an apt description.

There's no such thing as overkill with lights :)

I agree.... I have become greedy for more light esp my IPF low beams and fog lights (running 5000 lumen high beam bulb in fog). I want more even though I light up most of the street at night.

I agree.... I have become greedy for more light esp my IPF low beams and fog lights (running 5000 lumen high beam bulb in fog). I want more even though I light up most of the street at night.

Tell me about it. I run 6 HIDs on the front and the light bar. Output is borderline insanity.

We need a contest most Lumen street legal car and most lumen offroad.

20171216_181605.jpg~original

:cheers:

I want to install a lightbar like this but with low lumen output as my daytime running lights and a small accent light at night.

Those are SMD 5050 bulbs on Amazon. This kit includes 5730SM bulbs, which are three times brighter, have aluminum housings for heat dissipation, C3 circuitry for voltage stabilization, and surge protection built in. Lots of articles online about the differences -- it's a literal "night and day" comparison. I always say -- just because it can be done cheaper doesn't mean it's the same quality.

EDIT: Actually, your second link for the rear cargo light uses 4014 SMD LEDs.

Adding this for others that stumble across this thread in their searches...

I went ahead and tried this amazon bulb route. The lights are an improvement in color. I did not notice any difference in brightness. The rear cargo bulb does not fit quite right. It is a little too big. I got it in by crimping the ends of the bulb.

Another quick review! I decided I no longer liked the factory interior lights. Also, my kids sometimes turn the lights on and I've had the battery drain once or twice. So I bought an LED upgrade kit from PrecisionLED and replaced them all.

PrecisionLED has two kits, available here:

2008-Present - Land Cruiser - Toyota - Shop by Vehicle

The $62 kit uses 5050SMD LEDs whereas the $111 "Premium" kit uses 5730SMD LEDs which are supposedly 3x brighter. They also have 18V surge protection, whatever that means. Both kits are available in: Cool White (8000K), Crystal White (6000K), Dark Blue, Ruby Red, and Emerald Green. I opted for the Premium Crystal White kit. I also added on the license plate, vanity mirrors, and glove box bulbs, so my total was $163.

I am really pleased with the outcome. I'll share some pics, but as we all know, lights always look better in person than they do on camera.

Here's the kit:

20171215_213636.jpg~original

The old with the new:

20171215_213702.jpg~original

Side by side. Left is LED, right is OEM:

20171215_214646.jpg~original

Another side-by-side showing the courtesy lights. Front is LED. There's significantly more output for safety.

compare.jpg~original

Wife approves of the vanity lights. Me? I never even knew there was a mirror there!

vanity_after.jpg~original

License plate is nice a bright, too!

20171220_175649.jpg~original

All in all, I was done in about 30 minutes. Except for the glove box - that was a PITA. :censor: It's marginally brighter than OEM, so not sure it was worth it other than to satisfy the word "all".

20171216_121741.jpg~original

20171220_175718.jpg~original

All done!

20171216_173147.jpg~original

Having trouble finding bright running board led bulbs for my lx... anyone know good source?

Having trouble finding bright running board led bulbs for my lx... anyone know good source?

I'm sure PrecisionLED would have them if you could send a pic of the size.

running board LEDs are the "194" variety. I bought a 10-pack of the 194 bulbs from amazon and they work very well. Lots of the interior lights use the 194 bulb, including the courtesy door lights. middle dome and front dome lights. The rear dome light is a 30mm festoon bulb.

Mine were from amazon too. Careful with the running board light harness, if you break a wire its expensive. Don't ask me how I know lol.

Another quick review! I decided I no longer liked the factory interior lights. Also, my kids sometimes turn the lights on and I've had the battery drain once or twice. So I bought an LED upgrade kit from PrecisionLED and replaced them all.

PrecisionLED has two kits, available here:

2008-Present - Land Cruiser - Toyota - Shop by Vehicle

The $62 kit uses 5050SMD LEDs whereas the $111 "Premium" kit uses 5730SMD LEDs which are supposedly 3x brighter. They also have 18V surge protection, whatever that means. Both kits are available in: Cool White (8000K), Crystal White (6000K), Dark Blue, Ruby Red, and Emerald Green. I opted for the Premium Crystal White kit. I also added on the license plate, vanity mirrors, and glove box bulbs, so my total was $163.

I am really pleased with the outcome. I'll share some pics, but as we all know, lights always look better in person than they do on camera.

Here's the kit:

20171215_213636.jpg~original

The old with the new:

20171215_213702.jpg~original

Side by side. Left is LED, right is OEM:

20171215_214646.jpg~original

Another side-by-side showing the courtesy lights. Front is LED. There's significantly more output for safety.

compare.jpg~original

Wife approves of the vanity lights. Me? I never even knew there was a mirror there!

vanity_after.jpg~original

License plate is nice a bright, too!

20171220_175649.jpg~original

All in all, I was done in about 30 minutes. Except for the glove box - that was a PITA. :censor: It's marginally brighter than OEM, so not sure it was worth it other than to satisfy the word "all".

20171216_121741.jpg~original

20171220_175718.jpg~original

All done!

20171216_173147.jpg~original

Looks great. Question: How do you remove the license plate light lens off? Broke one yesterday.

Looks great. Question: How do you remove the license plate light lens off? Broke one yesterday.

They're kind of funky. You simply slide them to the left or right and they pop out.

Do any of you know what size bulb the vanities and lower passenger-side cargo-area lights are? They are definitely not the 31mm festoon style, they are shorter and no conical ends, flat ones (look like an old-style fuse). Also, any how-to on replacing the ones that face the ground on the side-view mirrors?

Do any of you know what size bulb the vanities and lower passenger-side cargo-area lights are? They are definitely not the 31mm festoon style, they are shorter and no conical ends, flat ones (look like an old-style fuse). Also, any how-to on replacing the ones that face the ground on the side-view mirrors?

For mirrors, you have to pop the mirror glass off. You don't need tools, just reach behind.

Adding this for others that stumble across this thread in their searches...

I went ahead and tried this amazon bulb route. The lights are an improvement in color. I did not notice any difference in brightness. The rear cargo bulb does not fit quite right. It is a little too big. I got it in by crimping the ends of the bulb.

Same here. I tried the Amazon LED cargo bulb. Waste of time. Not any brighter and was a very tight fit PITA.

Edit - The rear cargo light on passenger side is a festoon-style but shorter than the one in ceiling...

Well this seemed like such a simple job...I installed the first LED in the driver-side rear door. It lit for a fraction of a second, then went dark. Now none of the door lights work. Seems like a fuse problem - but the #40 7.5A fuse, according to the owner's manual, serves the map and overhead lights as well. And they still work. Is there a sub-fuse for the door lights? And, if it is a fuse problem, why would the LED blow the fuse? I would expect the LED to draw less current than the OEM incandescent. Argh.

-Phrog

Okay, problem solved. The door lights do have their own 5A fuse. I replace that and all is good. Although I still don't know why installing a lower wattage bulb caused the fuse to blow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom