1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-purchase inspection: engine check?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by e9999, Dec 6, 2003.

1. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

Thanks for all the great info on this forum, guys. Finally starting to feel a bit like a more informed shopper for both 100s and 80s thanks to your patience and good advice. I’ve now learned that on a 95-97 with about 90K or so I should check –besides the usual condition etc-:
    - front end (see zillion other posts)
    - head gasket leakage (not that I can see much with all the stuff on top but I’m trying)
    - red coolant
    - VIN stickers
    - Rust on back doors (not a problem in the PRK I assume)

But what about the engine? Should one have a serious mechanic check the compression or put it on an IR computer? A good idea? Anything else worth doing?

Thanks
    Eric

2. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

If you don't have the skills to inspect the truck mechanically take it to a third party shop and have it checked out. Also, you need to get under the truck and see what shape things are in. Couple of $'s paid in advance might save a lot later. Especially if you are buying As Is.

3. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

understood Christo. The thing is that if you go see a truck out of town, at a dealer or even a private party's it is generally thought to be somewhat uncouth to stick your finger in the pumpkin if you know what I mean... :D
    And I don't think they'll let ya take the plugs out.
    So that leaves an inspection by an "official" mechanic as about the only real option if something more is needed than I can do on the sidewalk. So, I would like to know what I should ask them specifically to check since usually they (not the serious outfits like yours, of course) usually only look at the brake pads and the odometer :-\
    What about compression and IR?
    Eric

4. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

If they won't allow you to inspect the truck I would not buy it. Yes, doing a compression check in the guys driveway is maybe not always on. It might be better to have a shop do it. The owner should feel better about it, even if you are trying to convince them that you are a 5 :banana: shade tree mechanic.

5. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

As a pre-inspection for my mechanic, I've also had dealers put the truck up on one of thier lifts to have a general look-over. Much easier than crawling around under the truck.

I was able to quickly check my truck for accident damage, oil/fluid leaks, rusting, etc. The dealer I eventually bought it from let me take the truck with dealer plates to my mechanic to do an inspection. Based on this, I went in knowing what needed to be fixed (for the most part) ~C$3K of work.

Cheers, Hugh

6. Pitbull

Pitbull

Red coolant? I know you should not mix it but I have not had red coolant in mine for the past 5 years and over 100K miles. Flush every 20-30K miles and fill it with coolant and run it ( I like green ). Never had a problem. I had my valve clearence checked at 100K miles and it was right in the middle of the recommended spec. I would have the compression checked and have a mechanic you trust give it a once over.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">