pre-heater and its light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
I have the 13BT motor with the non-glow plug, pre-heater just above the air intake manifold.

Is there any set of conditions when the pre-heater would be on and drawing power but its dashboard indicator light would not come on?
Watching the dash voltmeter, the pre-heater draws power for several minutes but the light stays off.

I know that dash lamp does work, so it’s not a burnt bulb.

Last edited:
My guess is that it's malfunctioning. It reads the water temp and kicks the heater on based on that temp. You can unplug the sensor on the thermostat housing and it should trick the system into pre-heating. In my experience, it won't turn on until it gets a bit below freezing.

Yes, I disconnected the sensor and the pre-heater did its thing and the dash light came on.
I did the opposite and shorted the sensor circuit. This fooled the pre-heater into thinking the engine was hot and the pre-heater did not come on.

When the sensor is connected normally, I can’t understand how the heater circuit can be on but its dash light stays off.

For the record, the phenomenon of the pre-heater being on but its dash light not on, has gone away.
I did nothing to fix it.
Somehow that is not comforting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom