PPD Performance 3" SS Bolt-On Exhaust System Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All
Just installed the 3" SS Exhaust Kit from PPD ( http://www.PPDPerformance.com.au ) in a 1991 HDJ-81 with the 1HD-T. Took me about 5 hrs with the truck on the hoist.
Some notes:
- installed an EGT sensor on the turbo dump nipple that was supplied
- the middle section (with muffler )was a bitch. definately needs to be in the air to wrangle that piece into place I think
- used muffler cement on all joints
- came with new gaskets and some hardware but not all - had to buy some JIS flange bolts
- you'll likely need 3 new exhaust cushion blocks from someone (Partsouq or Terrain Tamer or whoever)
- fitup was a bitch but did manage to get it in without it banging on the frame anywhere

Here's a few pics...

IMG_9878.JPG

IMG_9879.JPG

IMG_9882.JPG

IMG_9885.JPG
IMG_9887.JPG

Cont'd...

Last edited:
one more pic... this is the rear muffler hangar. This is one that took some adjusting to keep the piping off the frame and the transfer case

There is a movie showing how it sounds but honestly I don't know how to upload movies on IH8MUD. Sooo here's link to a Dropbox where anybody can view it:

IMG_9890.JPG

5 hours on a lift?? I was on my back!! The cushion blocks are highly recommended on changing.
Gawd that must have been hell.

I still can't quite get mine not to rattle at just above idle. Working on it…

She sounds pretty awesome, though!

Took me about 5 hours. I didn’t read the tech ahead so i re-used the blocks on my 81 which were in decent shape. I’ll drop some new ones in soon. Noticed the blocks were the same as I remember from my FJ62.

Question for the group. The exhaust hanger bracket that bolts to the side of the transmission and then attaches to the OEM Exhaust using the collar I pointed to in the pic below. Did yall just do without that? I ended up with one stainless L bracket leftover in my PPD kit and I’m wondering I missed something. Seems like the engineers had something pretty specific in mind when they put it on in 95 so I hate to leave it out but the 3” makes no room. Modify?

Just drove home from the shop already know I dig it.

IMG_9823.jpeg

IMG_0293.jpeg

Yeah do without that OEM collar. I think I only used 1 L bracket too.

This thread needs some Vids of the sound. just sayin ;)

Anybody who ordered the kit remember how much shipping was?
I'm in the market for 3" exhaust and this seems like a good/best option

one more pic... this is the rear muffler hangar. This is one that took some adjusting to keep the piping off the frame and the transfer case

There is a movie showing how it sounds but honestly I don't know how to upload movies on IH8MUD. Sooo here's link to a Dropbox where anybody can view it:

View attachment 2745367
Do you have a better photo or description of how you modified that hangar? I left this one alone, but that required hanging the one at the very rear of the car very low so the exhaust hangs a couple inches lower in the back than it should and leaves it vulnerable to getting smashed on a rock.

Anybody who ordered the kit remember how much shipping was?
I'm in the market for 3" exhaust and this seems like a good/best option
Mine was $649 parts and $600 shipping, both in $AUD. The conversion rate at the time (6 months ago?) brought it to around $840 US.

View attachment 2745367
Two years later and I had to do the exact same thing. Slightly annoyed by it considering it could likely be improved in fitment. Also, frustrating that they didn't include the downpipe hardware but included an unneeded second L bracket!

@kgrove - as far as I could tell you just push it to use only one of those two holes on the bracket.

Also not a fan that it puts a good bit of pressure on the brand new rubber hangar mounts, shouldn't have to be torsioning them like that from the start!

Two years later and I had to do the exact same thing. Slightly annoyed by it considering it could likely be improved in fitment. Also, frustrating that they didn't include the downpipe hardware but included an unneeded second L bracket!

@kgrove - as far as I could tell you just push it to use only one of those two holes on the bracket.

Also not a fan that it puts a good bit of pressure on the brand new rubber hangar mounts, shouldn't have to be torsioning them like that from the start!
Yes I found fitment could have been improved. Took a while before I was able to keep it from contacting the frame. Don't remember if I had missing downpipe hardware.

But at least the price is right. Now I'm thinking of moving the EGT sensor to the inlet side of the turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom