power window issues on 94 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 94 cruizer that runs great but my front driver and passenger side windows will not go down anymore. They slowly died out on me in the fall and now that spring is here I need to get these windows moving again. the drivers side does not work at all and the passenger side will go down very slow when i hold the window switches in just the right position. The guy at Toyota seems to think it is the window motors. The problem with Toyota is that it will cost about $1000 to have them do it. I am not much of a car do it yourself guy but this is something that I feel I may be able to do. I am looking for some direction on getting aftermarket motors and the installation process. Please help me if you can because its getting pretty hot in the car with those two windows up.
:cheers:
Kurt

A little help beyond the recommendation to 'search'. There are threads in this section regarding cleaning and lubing the tracks on the windows. Search on that specifically. Hopefully the motors are still functional and just the window tracks have become so dirty that the motor can't move the windows.

Also

The motor itself should be taken apart, cleaned, and re-lubed. The grease inside the motor will become dried and very stiff over time and that impedes the motor's ability to create torque. Also sometimes the little curved magnets inside will become detached from the case, jamming up the motor. On occasion I've had to re-glue these using an epoxy, and the motors usually have survived if not subjected to long periods of electrical current while being jammed.

Basically, it's nothing more than taking everything apart and cleaning/lubing, then re-assembling. Inside the motor, if you any kind of steel wool, make certain you leave no trace as this can cause an electrical gremlin.

When I do this, I remove everything: the glass, the window regulator, the motors, everything. I take it all apart and when it's done, it's like new.

Another part that can go bad is the window switch itself. I haven't taken apart a Toyota door switch yet, but if it's capable of being dis-assembled, (some makes are sealed and impossible to take apart without destruction, some are not) do so and clean it thoroughly. This will assure the most current possible to the motor, which is important.

Bottom line: ALL of the components age over time and each becomes less efficient. So, when added up, the window slows down and then finally stops moving.

The window rubbers will become saturated with dirt, so they should be thoroughly cleaned and lubed with silicone. That's the most you can do without actually replacing them, which some folks do.

So if you're real good at taking things apart AND THEN PUTTING THEM BACK TOGETHER AGAIN, you can do this. Hint: mark things (left/right, back/front, or up/down) before disassembly. Pictures can help too.

Dana

Jeez Dana, you want to come clean and lube my DS? It works but has slowed with age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom