Power steering leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey. Recently I got my 2014 lx570 into deep snowy ditch. My friend pulled me out of it but power steering pump developed leak from the pulley shaft. Reservoir was empty. When I put more fluid it dripped out of the pump right away and was gone in 5min .Engine was off. How hard is to replace pump? Does any have manual or advice how to do it? Thanks

Hey. Recently I got my 2014 lx570 into deep snowy ditch. My friend pulled me out of it but power steering pump developed leak from the pulley shaft. Reservoir was empty. When I put more fluid it dripped out of the pump right away and was gone in 5min .Engine was off. How hard is to replace pump? Does any have manual or advice how to do it? Thanks
I recently replaced my PS pump (and everything else hanging on the front of the engine that spins) on my 2013 LC. Its all a PITA but with the FSM and this forum, certainly doable. The PITA part is mostly figuring out how to get to it and what all needs to come apart to get to it. FSM tells you this but is a bit cryptic. The basic outline (from memory, please read FSM) is this:

1. Access is through the passenger side wheel well. Jack up, put on a stands, remove wheel, remove plastic splash guards. At this point, your looking at the PS pump, just above the alternator.

2. Open hood, remove plastic cover over the radiator so you can get to the fan shroud and fan.

3. Remove the belt, fan and fan shroud. Doing this is just to give you better access. You might be able to leave the fan and shroud in and get the PS pump out but you won't same time.

4. Disconnect the return line and drain the fluid to limit the mess from the next step. Turning the steering wheel back and forth will pump fluid out if it.

5. Disconnect the wire harness and pressure sensor/HP hard line from the pump.

6. Remove the two PS pump mounting bolts. Access is through the pulley itself.

7. Remove PS pump. It will still be wedged in its mounting bosses so use a big screwdriver or pry bar. Be gentle.

8. I think I was able to pull it out through the wheel well, but I may have dropped it out the bottom. I pulled my radiator and hoses out because I was doing a bunch of other stuff, so I had more room.

9. Put the new pump in and reverse the procedure.

10. With the PS return line disconnected from the reservoir, plug the hose barb at the reservoir or if you disconnect it low, plug the hose end so that you can refill the reservoir. Route the open return hose to a bucket or pan.

11. Fill the reservoir, and then turn the steering wheel back and forth which will flush the new fluid (Dexron III or VI) through the system, purging the old fluid and most of the air. After you see new nice looking fluid flowing into your bucket, reconnect the return hose to the reservoir and refill the reservoir. Turn the steering wheel back and forth again while watching the level in the reservoir. It will suck down and burp air. Stop when the level gets low, don't let it suck more in to the supply hose. Refill and repeat until it stops consuming fluid.

12. Start the truck and again rack the steering back and forth. You may get some air bubbles and if you didn't get most of the air out before, it may foam up a bit. Refill as necessary and take it for a drive. Let it cool off and check the level again. Add fluid as necessary.

The pump is rebuildable if you want to go that route. You can buy a kit from almost any Toyota online parts house like EB Toyota Parts or just buy a whole new pump for about $250. Don't recall the kit price but its a lot less. I put a new pump in but after getting it out and looking it over, a rebuild would have been just fine and I could have saved money. I now have a spare PS pump.

In theory, this should be able to be done in 2 to 3 hours. It took me a lot longer but I think if I were to do this again with it still fairly fresh in my head, I could do it in a couple hours.

I recently replaced my PS pump (and everything else hanging on the front of the engine that spins) on my 2013 LC. Its all a PITA but with the FSM and this forum, certainly doable. The PITA part is mostly figuring out how to get to it and what all needs to come apart to get to it. FSM tells you this but is a bit cryptic. The basic outline (from memory, please read FSM) is this:

1. Access is through the passenger side wheel well. Jack up, put on a stands, remove wheel, remove plastic splash guards. At this point, your looking at the PS pump, just above the alternator.

2. Open hood, remove plastic cover over the radiator so you can get to the fan shroud and fan.

3. Remove the belt, fan and fan shroud. Doing this is just to give you better access. You might be able to leave the fan and shroud in and get the PS pump out but you won't same time.

4. Disconnect the return line and drain the fluid to limit the mess from the next step. Turning the steering wheel back and forth will pump fluid out if it.

5. Disconnect the wire harness and pressure sensor/HP hard line from the pump.

6. Remove the two PS pump mounting bolts. Access is through the pulley itself.

7. Remove PS pump. It will still be wedged in its mounting bosses so use a big screwdriver or pry bar. Be gentle.

8. I think I was able to pull it out through the wheel well, but I may have dropped it out the bottom. I pulled my radiator and hoses out because I was doing a bunch of other stuff, so I had more room.

9. Put the new pump in and reverse the procedure.

10. With the PS return line disconnected from the reservoir, plug the hose barb at the reservoir or if you disconnect it low, plug the hose end so that you can refill the reservoir. Route the open return hose to a bucket or pan.

11. Fill the reservoir, and then turn the steering wheel back and forth which will flush the new fluid (Dexron III or VI) through the system, purging the old fluid and most of the air. After you see new nice looking fluid flowing into your bucket, reconnect the return hose to the reservoir and refill the reservoir. Turn the steering wheel back and forth again while watching the level in the reservoir. It will suck down and burp air. Stop when the level gets low, don't let it suck more in to the supply hose. Refill and repeat until it stops consuming fluid.

12. Start the truck and again rack the steering back and forth. You may get some air bubbles and if you didn't get most of the air out before, it may foam up a bit. Refill as necessary and take it for a drive. Let it cool off and check the level again. Add fluid as necessary.

The pump is rebuildable if you want to go that route. You can buy a kit from almost any Toyota online parts house like EB Toyota Parts or just buy a whole new pump for about $250. Don't recall the kit price but its a lot less. I put a new pump in but after getting it out and looking it over, a rebuild would have been just fine and I could have saved money. I now have a spare PS pump.

In theory, this should be able to be done in 2 to 3 hours. It took me a lot longer but I think if I were to do this again with it still fairly fresh in my head, I could do it in a couple hours.
Thank you for detailed response. Now I have decide either buy new or rebuild the pump. Any chance you have link to fsm? I'm new to,Toyota, I came from Nissan Xterra

Thank you for detailed response. Now I have decide either buy new or rebuild the pump. Any chance you have link to fsm? I'm new to,Toyota, I came from Nissan Xterra
Search for FSM and you will find a link or PM @linuxgod . The FSM is really your friend. I will get to my other PC latter today and upload just the appropriate part for you.

Edit: Adding FSM pdfs

Attachments

• 2013 LC PS pump removal.pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 2013 LC PS pump disassembly.pdf
    97.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Isn't it something that there have been two recent steering pump failures recently with extraction from snowy ditches?

Finally pump is removed. Easy access. Now I'm waiting for parts.Thanks for the directions. I found metal shavings in reservoir. I've clean it well but I wonder if the shavings damaged rack and pinion. I'm planning to flush the system by disconnecting the return line the reservoir. Any other suggestions?

20210228_164312.jpg

20210228_163148.jpg

20210228_164229.jpg

Replace the old pump with a new one , and rebuild the old one. This way you have a spare!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom