Power steering gear noise. ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive searched and searched and cant come up with the info i need. I resently re-built the power steering pump on my 80 and have a persistent gear noise after reinstallation. Ive re-seated the pump, removed,inspected and retourqed the gear and still have noise. My question is what damage am i looking at by running the truck with this minor noise.... and if i dont need to run it, what is the part number for the drive gear?

Ive searched and searched and cant come up with the info i need. I resently re-built the power steering pump on my 80 and have a persistent gear noise after reinstallation. Ive re-seated the pump, removed,inspected and retourqed the gear and still have noise. My question is what damage am i looking at by running the truck with this minor noise.... and if i dont need to run it, what is the part number for the drive gear?

1) don't start a new thread with a new question every time. Continue in your related thread so everyone can see what has been done and discussed. It helps other people do searches to find stuff instead of trying to read a bunch of worthless threads with no results.

2) potential damage would be to Mar the drive gear on the crank so that it has to be replaced as well. To replace that gear means you must pull the timing chain cover. To pull the timing chain cover you must pull the head. If you have to pull the head, you're into a head gasket rebuild.$$$$.

3) go to McGeorge Toyota online parts to see if you can get a part number for the gear. Otherwise go to www.partsouq.com to find the part number and price it at McGeorge. Or you can do a search for ps pump gear part number and see what you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom