Power steering for HJ47 2h engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

876 Cruisers

KZJ70/FZJ70/HJ47/FJ80
Threads
has anyone done a powersteering conversion for a hj47 before?

My main concern is how to get a PS pump bolted on and run by a belt. Currently it has a Harmonic Balance that can only accommodate 1 belt. Im not sure exactly how the setup is to look or how it is suppose to run the pump.

Ive read where the later model Harmonic Balance wot work on the early HJ47 and as far as I know no hj47 came with ps.

Any help in how to get this rigged up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Apparently some did here is the proof. It’s not obvious but the PS mount is actually part of the right motor mount.

ED51C6BC-2A27-49CA-92A8-ADE35609E2F1.jpeg
FF17DDF0-4B15-49E1-AC67-0E89822D29D8.jpeg
991AF76E-AD6B-4433-A0B9-9DC4F2385F80.jpeg
7AF9C99D-4391-4EF9-B037-AD952EB158F2.jpeg
24ADD064-1F2A-4F6C-84E3-C06346A6F8E0.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh that's great thanks for showing me. I guess I need to try and locate a harmonic balance/ crankshaft pulley.

But is that a 2h engine or 12ht? The top doesnt look like my 2h engine

Oh so your saying the Harmonic balance from a 12ht can work on a 2h engine?

has anyone done a powersteering conversion for a hj47 before?

My main concern is how to get a PS pump bolted on and run by a belt. Currently it has a Harmonic Balance that can only accommodate 1 belt. Im not sure exactly how the setup is to look or how it is suppose to run the pump.

Ive read where the later model Harmonic Balance wot work on the early HJ47 and as far as I know no hj47 came with ps.

Any help in how to get this rigged up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

No LWB diesel came factory fitted with power steering but this conversion is extremely common down here. It's essentially a 40/60/75/80 Frankenparts deal that by pure luck [or good design?] fits together in an OE way. I have the conversion here in a .docx if you want it? Can you attach a .docx to a Mud PM?

No LWB diesel came factory fitted with power steering but this conversion is extremely common down here. It's essentially a 40/60/75/80 Frankenparts deal that by pure luck [or good design?] fits together in an OE way. I have the conversion here in a .docx if you want it? Can you attach a .docx to a Mud PM?
im not sure but It would be nice to see it to figure out how to do the ps conversion.

im not sure but It would be nice to see it to figure out how to do the ps conversion.
Tell you what brother, you find a way for me to send you a .docx and I'll send it.

Any way you could email that docx to me? Just working through this right now.

@NOSAJ / @jatatar / @afsiddiqui here's the doc. It's designed for a 2H into a RHD HJ47 chassis. Its a guide to be used in conjunction with the parts list in the next post. There's some 70 series parts which are readily available in Au, but I'm sure they can be shipped to countries that are light on those trucks. Happy converting!

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 5.14.58 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 5.15.06 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 5.15.18 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 5.15.25 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 5.15.33 am.png

Oh, one last thing. At the firewall there are two options: a] an 80 series rag joint or b] a 70 series/Hilux universal joint. I went with the uni as it's more direct.

One last thing Part II: My truck is a 1970 FJ45 so it had the one piece column and steering box. I think the changeover year to the two-piece design that ran til 11/84 was 1972. Anyway, if you have this type you will need to cut the shaft at the firewall and spline it for the 80 series rag joint/Hilux uni. Because of the OEM design of this system you will also need to retain it's fore and aft movement somehow. There is additional fab work required to do this. I slipped a bearing over the shaft [slight flap dic relief required] which then presses into the outer tube. I had the shaft machined to accomodate two snap rings to hold the bearing in place. This is the same design as the 08/1980 onwards steering columns. If it's good enough for Toyota it's good enough for me.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 5.15.39 am.png
60 Steer Parts List.jpg
60 Steer Parts List 2.jpg

@cult45 great article mate! I wish I had seen it before my PS installation. Do you have any pictures of the steering dampener installed?

@cult45 great article mate! I wish I had seen it before my PS installation. Do you have any pictures of the steering dampener installed?
Hey mate. Long time. I never installed one but have the 70 series bracket there somewhere. It will bolt directly to the inside of the frame rail behind the front crossmember and be the correct length for a 70 series dampener. The 70 series mounts this way and it's good enough for them so it's good enough for me.

Btw, my FB got hacked and my account permanently deleted. Lots of folks think I unfriended them and blocked them, lol.

Hey mate. Long time. I never installed one but have the 70 series bracket there somewhere. It will bolt directly to the inside of the frame rail behind the front crossmember and be the correct length for a 70 series dampener. The 70 series mounts this way and it's good enough for them so it's good enough for me.

Btw, my FB got hacked and my account permanently deleted. Lots of folks think I unfriended them and blocked them, lol.
Daniel it’s great hearing from you mate! I’m not on FB anymore either. Same basic scenario for me. I didn’t get banned from FB but I was banned from Market Place. They wouldn’t tell me why so I deleted my account on July 4 of this year.

I used a 70 series tie rod and I have the bracket. But with my steering setup on the LH side vs the RH side it didn’t look like it would work.

Daniel it’s great hearing from you mate! I’m not on FB anymore either. Same basic scenario for me. I didn’t get banned from FB but I was banned from Market Place. They wouldn’t tell me why so I deleted my account on July 4 of this year.

I used a 70 series tie rod and I have the bracket. But with my steering setup on the LH side vs the RH side it didn’t look like it would work.
Facebook? You mean police state.

Is there something in your way on that part of the frame? It's an L-shaped bracket yeah and hangs down and in, with the fastener mounted fore-and-aft?

It’s been a while since I looked at it, but I think I remember the mount on the frame and the mount on the tie rod being too close together to install a dampener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom