Power decrease in high altitude terrain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a newbie question. Last month I drove my LC from Chicago to Breckenridge (ski trip!). Once we passed Denver and enter Rockies I realized significant power decrease. I understand that power decreases do to low oxygen content, but is there anything to gain the power back, since there is no carbonator? LC still performed great, but was missing few hp. I was wandering if guys living in high altitude areas have any suggestions. Thanks!

Normal. You have a few choices... downshift, regear or forced induction.

I was in Winter Park and climbing up Highway 40 that was a pain. I just kept taking it out of overdrive so it would downshift, then I could get some decent acceleration.

ZUREK said:
I have a newbie question. Last month I drove my LC from Chicago to Breckenridge (ski trip!). Once we passed Denver and enter Rockies I realized significant power decrease. I understand that power decreases do to low oxygen content, but is there anything to gain the power back, since there is no carbonator? LC still performed great, but was missing few hp. I was wandering if guys living in high altitude areas have any suggestions. Thanks!

It only gets worse when you add larger diameter tires, bumpers, sliders, recovery gear etc...

Get a turbo or SC ;)

I live at over 6500ft and sometimes go above 9k it always surprises me how much power I do have when I go back down. The only thing to do is as mentioned turbo or SC.

Zurek, I live at 7800ft. I am accustomed to the power loss. It seems I've read an approx 4% loss per 1000ft in altitude

00 UZJ100
02 G500

funny question i just came back from smokey mountains frombaltimore md. Pickedmy cruiser up in october i hadmore power in the mountains then i do here got better gasmillage to.

What surpriseing me is nobody mentioned the timeing . I beleve my timeing is either advanced or retarded tomuch.i forget wich way u go for higher or lower elevations. But ima be doin a timeing light on me truck soon.

Thanks for the comments, it looks like I just have to downshift for now. Also, how much worse does it get with larger diameter tires, bumpers, sliders etc... Is it noticeable? I plan to do those upgrades in the future.

I have always gotten better gas mileage in the Rockies even when driving without OD. I have always noticed the reduce power, but it seems everyone else has the same difficulty. The LC has so much torque that is seems to handle the altitude well. My SC Previa seems less affected than my previous non-SC Previa, but it has more HP and Torque also. I sure enjoy the mileage gain though - especially with the high gas prices in Colorado.

Another option would be NO2. There was an article in LC magazine where they used nitrous-oxide on a LC80 and hit some really high top-speeds (gotta have the speed limiter override device). Horsepower drops by like 10% per 1000 ft of elevation gain. A 100 turbo diesel would probably do well in the mountains.

When oh when will we get the diesels??? I love the new TD options on cars and SUVs more power and better economy, hard to beat!

Is LC magazine available in North America?

If it's the one the one I know of, it's in Japanese. Yes, you can get it here from some specialty bookstores. But it isn't cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom