posted this in 60 section need exhuast advice and birfield seal help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
OK heres the deal. I had a buddy take my exhuast pipe that goes threw the frame and straighten it out. Ran it beside the other pipe on inside frame rail on my fj62 with auto Trans. we did our best to keep o2 sensor in original location lenth wise from the motor to prevent any code and such. We ran the two pipes into a collector and used a universal cat that was for a 90 caprice with a smallblock 350. Figured the v8 cat would be more then sufficient for the 6 . RIGHT?????????????

We used the muffler i been running because we ran out of time yesterday.. So today me and old lady took it for a drive. Made it about 40 miles motor was getting hot. This is my first summer with a cruiser. It made it to 250 f a couple times. Then my trans temp light came on. and motor started running ruff. I pulled over let it all cool down tried driveing again made it about 10 miles Trans temp came on again.

I started thinking maybe all the mud i had caked on the Trans and motor was causeing things to overheat on me. So i found a car wash and pressured washed it off best i could. Then i started thinking maybe the two pipes bein so close to trans was reason. I bought some of that header insulatation wrap that keeps the heat in the pipe . Took a while to gewt that on in a parking lot felt like 300 f on the ground my god hot.

Got done started driving things weren't getting as hot motor wise and translight wasn't comeing back on then motor started running like crap caughin and such. I pulled over looked underneath and my cat is glowing orange like a hunting safey vest at noon time. I tweak my buddie and smack the muffler off. Thinking it might be bunch of mud in muffler it been threw enuf. and maybe it clogged.

Started driving home. 20 miles down road looked under truck and the exhaust pipes were i missed a spot or two wrapping them up was glowing orange under the wrap and the cat had a slight glow but nothing like it had earlyer.

Any suggestions sorry for my grammar. i dont have spellcheck.
Does the straight 6 put out more exhuast then a smallblock chevy? Could the v8 converter not be able to handle the flow? of the 6?

Is the timing adjustable on the fj62? i no on a dodge or chevy if timing off it will make your exhaust manifold glow.

It did run better after the muffler was taken off seemed to have more power and run better. But due to the cat having that slight glow to it and the cat bein brand new im stumped. Right now i got the two downpipes comeing down into a cloector into a cat straight off the collector and nothing else behind it to clog it up please help a borther out. Im a newb to this cruiser thing and im getting frustrating.

Either gonna land up stripping her down or putting a smallblock something i can work on in it. if i dont stop haveing problems. I also got to learn how to replace the birfield seal on my front axel i got gear oil leaking around it.:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom