Post Accident Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a quick 180 on the highway, single car, no one hurt, some minor damage. I have some follow-up questions ill post below. I hope someone can answer some of these. Thanks.

The most info I have about hydroplaning is from Forza. My LX is on 285s AT that have a semi-aggressive tread pattern. Does this have an effect on my car's ability to drive over water?

The car also turned off I believe after the accident. The brakes felt tougher and I guess the engine light came on like it does before you crank it to turn it on. I put it in reverse and got no power and freaked out. Turns out all I had to do is take the key out and turn her back on and everything was back to normal. Very specific question but does the FZJ80/LX have a safety feature to turn the car off in accidents? And if so why?

I have an ARB front number as well. I bought a 96 because of the airbags and ABS. Anyways scratched the bottom right corner of the bumper. I was going fast did I not hit the correct spot of the sensors to trigger the airbags? Does the bumper cover the sensors? Do I need to get my airbags checked?

Also, the steering wheel is out of alignment. It’s rotated 90 degrees to the left but the wheels still go straight. Is this something I can fix myself?

Any post-crash things I need to check?

Sorry, some of these questions are specific and maybe only a legend like Cruiser Dan could answer. I’m amazed that my car drove away and nothing is totally screwed up (at least 90% sure). I'm thankful I didn’t roll and my cruiser kept me safe.

Also let me know if this is in the wrong forum section already messed up once

Did a quick 180 on the highway, single car, no one hurt, some minor damage. I have some follow-up questions ill post below. I hope someone can answer some of these. Thanks.

The most info I have about hydroplaning is from Forza. My LX is on 285s AT that have a semi-aggressive tread pattern. Does this have an effect on my car's ability to drive over water?

The car also turned off I believe after the accident. The brakes felt tougher and I guess the engine light came on like it does before you crank it to turn it on. I put it in reverse and got no power and freaked out. Turns out all I had to do is take the key out and turn her back on and everything was back to normal. Very specific question but does the FZJ80/LX have a safety feature to turn the car off in accidents? And if so why?

I have an ARB front number as well. I bought a 96 because of the airbags and ABS. Anyways scratched the bottom right corner of the bumper. I was going fast did I not hit the correct spot of the sensors to trigger the airbags? Does the bumper cover the sensors? Do I need to get my airbags checked?

Also, the steering wheel is out of alignment. It’s rotated 90 degrees to the left but the wheels still go straight. Is this something I can fix myself?

Any post-crash things I need to check?

Sorry, some of these questions are specific and maybe only a legend like Cruiser Dan could answer. I’m amazed that my car drove away and nothing is totally screwed up (at least 90% sure). I'm thankful I didn’t roll and my cruiser kept me safe.
You're in the right place.

Take a peek at my reply about tires and stuff in the other post.
I'll eventually copy or link it here.

The only airbag sensor on these is in the center and it is an impact sensor that must see a certain amount of force before it blows the bags. It also seems to be more head-on impact related, than a glancing blow kind.
It will shut off fuel to the engine and it will remain disabled if the airbags blow.

It died when you spun around and started rolling backwards while it was still in drive. These trucks are known to do that. Rolling backwards with it in D can make it die when in a precarious situation. No harm done on that aspect.

Pictures.

We need to tell you if it will buff out, how stupid you are and how smart we are........

We'll be dicks, but we'll also help you get back on track, open your wallet, and spend your money for you.

Last edited:
I had the steering wheel issue after some off-roading damage years ago. The truck still drove perfectly straight, but the steering wheel was about 35 degrees out of alignment. In my case, I needed a new drag link (and tie rod ends because I was in there). I went with a Slee Off Road drag link, but I think the OEM one is still available as well.

Regarding the vehicle shut down -- I think your fuel pump turned off. Pretty much every vehicle made since at least the 80s, has had some kind of fuel pump shut off relay that cuts power to the pump so that it won't spray fuel if damage to a fuel line has occurred during a wreck. Perhaps this device needs to be power cycled (ignition off then back on) in order for it to reset and start the car again.

You're in the right place.

Take a peek at my reply about tires and stuff in the other post.
I'll eventually copy or link it here.

The only airbag sensor on these is in the center and it is an pact sensor that must see a certain amount of force before it blows the bags. It also seems to be more head-on impact related, than a glancing blow kind.
It will shut off fuel to the engine and it will remain disabled if the airbags blow.

It died when you spun around and started rolling backwards while it was still in drive. These trucks are known to do that. Rolling backwards with it in D can make it die when in a precarious situation. No harm done on that aspect.

Pictures.

We need to tell you if it will buff out, how stupid you are and how smart we are........

We'll be dicks, but we'll also help you get back on track, open your wallet, and spend your money for you.
Just replied and read your post on the other thread. I'm amazed at how smart my car is. I thought since it just hit its 25th birthday it wouldn't be as smart as these new cars.

I just took some pictures and ill put them on this thread.

And I would love to hear about how stupid I am. I always try to learn from my mistakes and especially the mistakes of others. Otto Von Bismark has a great quote about that.

Hope I took pictures of the right parts. I’m not familiar with the steering components…yet.

6D0D368A-FBEE-4DEC-B4D5-C5B0AB09C66B.jpeg

C55F66E7-A56E-4BDA-98B4-78C0EF7EBD99.jpeg

0FDE67F3-D624-41AD-A38D-3AD2C4C94AB0.jpeg

24928AC2-8C02-4F2A-8794-AD66F6CA252D.jpeg

5F62941E-1616-4353-90CF-87CF850613AF.jpeg

Based on your pics, you most likely bent your drag link (the one in front you took pics of). You MUST check your nuts...........on the lower right front knuckle, as that was the corner that appears to have taken the most hit.

You can straighten your steering wheel by adjusting the drag link, even if it's bent.

I also suggest an alignment to determine if you destroyed a suspension bushing or bent a tie rod as well as the drag link or even bent your front axle.

These knuckle studs are known for those studs to shear, nuts to come loose, an the knuckle to fall off, particularly after a collision. Right now, short term, check to make sure the nuts on the bottom of BOTH knuckles are torqued to 71 LB-FT. Take it to a shop and have them check this, immediately. If one of the studs shears off during this check, you will have dodged a bullet.

Also, you COULD have damaged your steering gear output shaft, as in twisted it. There are splines on the shaft and it they look twisted, it would be worthwhile to update your steering gear. If your insurance ends up covering any of this, it may be time to have this looked at by a pro shop to determine any damage that was done and get a new replacement Toyota Steering gear (for a 105 series).

All in all looks like you got through it with just a few small rashes. The ARB held up well and protected like it should. There rear flare can be reattached (may need a little work) and looks like the RR tire got a bit of curb rash from the ride.

The GY Wranglers don't have great siping (that particular tread design) and they do look a little worn.

Glad you're safe.

Read and search things you're interested in here, as whatever you want to do or need to do to your truck has been done by someone and is usually a search away. If you don't know what to search for, ask.

Based on your pics, you most likely bent your drag link (the one in front you took pics of). You MUST check your nuts...........on the lower right front knuckle, as that was the corner that appears to have taken the most hit.

You can straighten your steering wheel by adjusting the drag link, even if it's bent.

I also suggest an alignment to determine if you destroyed a suspension bushing or bent a tie rod as well as the drag link or even bent your front axle.

These knuckle studs are known for those studs to shear, nuts to come loose, an the knuckle to fall off, particularly after a collision. Right now, short term, check to make sure the nuts on the bottom of BOTH knuckles are torqued to 71 LB-FT. Take it to a shop and have them check this, immediately. If one of the studs shears off during this check, you will have dodged a bullet.

Also, you COULD have damaged your steering gear output shaft, as in twisted it. There are splines on the shaft and it they look twisted, it would be worthwhile to update your steering gear. If your insurance ends up covering any of this, it may be time to have this looked at by a pro shop to determine any damage that was done and get a new replacement Toyota Steering gear (for a 105 series).

All in all looks like you got through it with just a few small rashes. The ARB held up well and protected like it should. There rear flare can be reattached (may need a little work) and looks like the RR tire got a bit of curb rash from the ride.

The GY Wranglers don't have great siping (that particular tread design) and they do look a little worn.

Glad you're safe.

Read and search things you're interested in here, as whatever you want to do or need to do to your truck has been done by someone and is usually a search away. If you don't know what to search for, ask.
What about this? This has my eyebrow raised.

1624914139615.png

Glad you're safe.

Thank you so much for this information. I'm going to check all the nuts and try to adjust that drag link. There is a local cruiser mechanic near me, Mike, who I found through this website. I'll take it to him when he has an opening to have everything looked over. I had planned on seeing him soon anyways, now I just have more of a reason to give him a visit. Thank you!

Thank you so much for this information. I'm going to check all the nuts and try to adjust that drag link. There is a local cruiser mechanic near me, Mike, who I found through this website. I'll take it to him when he has an opening to have everything looked over. I had planned on seeing him soon anyways, now I just have more of a reason to give him a visit. Thank you!
Also, in Austin area is @arcteryx with lots of used parts if you need anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom