Possible to make 2010 lx570 Selectable 2wd/4wd? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They have part time kits for most other cruisers but it seems like 200s are too difficult/not enough demand to produce a kit:

I saw this video of what I think is a South African 70 (?) series that has a cool system.

Check out around 3:18. The way he explains it, you lock the hubs manually with a wrench, which makes them selectable from the cab, and what that implies is that it is 2wd when not locked at the front hub.

Now, not knowing anything about the 79 hubs, I'm guessing it is a lot more like the drive arrangement on an 80 series, with a solid front axle and not IFS, where the stub axle engages a drive plate on the outside of the hub, so by replacing the drive plate with an appropriate selectable hub, you can have the option of 2 or 4wd.

I'm not entirely sure what this would gain most people, probably not fuel economy, since you're still driving the front driveshaft, diff and axles all the time.

And of course, this won't help your 200/201 since we use a completely different front IFS, drive axle/system where locking hubs don't make any mechanical sense (the drive axle is engaged with the drive hub - that the brake/wheel attaches to - using splines in the hub: no removable drive flange on the outside).

But it is cool.

I suppose you could remove the front drive shaft...? That'd put all power to the rear wheels. But not selectable...

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for the day someone makes a kit. I did this on my 100 series and it was the best thing I ever did. Honestly made it feel like a new truck. The torque steer was the main reason I would love to do it again. Still hoping to have this done one day.

This was my email with @Marlin Crawler
Hello John,
At this time, we do not yet have any plans to make a part-time kit for that application. I apologize for the inconvenience, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you,
Kyle
On 7/16/2020

And this was my email to @cruiseroutfit
Hello, John Thanks for the email,
We have looked into it but the 200 has a lot more integrated system and have not had enough requests or want, but is definitely something we will explore in the future.
Thanks,
Chris
Cruiser Outfitters
801-563-1277
On Feb 3, 2021

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom