Possible ownership (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Considering a 88 LJ73 (and cash for my 08 LC200). From what I have gathered, it’s in great condition but would like to hear arguments as far as should I make this exchange or not. My 200 stays in the garage most of the time as I have a commuter vehicle so if I was to make the trade for this or another prado or LC, it will be used infrequently; however, I want to be able to jump in and drive 5hrs or so, worry free. Am I wishing for too much? Am I being dumb for considering this hearing about the head gasket issues? Is it a decent trade?

Biggest questions here are lhd vs rhd and manual transmission vs automatic ? To me I would only want a European spec lhd LJ73 with manual trans and several decades ago I had several of those that I drove all over Europe , it will be slow yes but almost every 70 series feels slow compared to a 200 .

Toyota LJ 73 s Toyota 200
Depending on what you want to do …?
The 200 can do everything the 73 can do .
But not vise versa .
The 73 is a very old car concept , with even older motor .
Personally would buy it only if I had a cabin at 5 km from the town , in an isolated place with rough road .

Considering a 88 LJ73 (and cash for my 08 LC200). From what I have gathered, it’s in great condition but would like to hear arguments as far as should I make this exchange or not. My 200 stays in the garage most of the time as I have a commuter vehicle so if I was to make the trade for this or another prado or LC, it will be used infrequently; however, I want to be able to jump in and drive 5hrs or so, worry free. Am I wishing for too much? Am I being dumb for considering this hearing about the head gasket issues? Is it a decent trade?

You ever driven an FJ40?

The 73 will likely be an incremental improvement in ride/comfort over a 40 but......its still a short wheel base vehicle

I drove a 40 across the country and back on mud tires without a radio......can you do it? Sure......its not the most pleasant experience and may cause brain damage......

If you have a commuter vehicle and are willing to work on the 73 there's no reason you cant make it a reliable vehicle

You ever driven an FJ40?

The 73 will likely be an incremental improvement in ride/comfort over a 40 but......its still a short wheel base vehicle

I drove a 40 across the country and back on mud tires without a radio......can you do it? Sure......its not the most pleasant experience and may cause brain damage......

If you have a commuter vehicle and are willing to work on the 73 there's no reason you cant make it a reliable vehicle
40 is swb on leaf springs , LJ73 is medium wheelbase on coils so there is no comparison between these 2 in ride quality

40 is swb on leaf springs , LJ73 is medium wheelbase on coils so there is no comparison between these 2 in ride quality

Thats why I characterized it as the following

"The 73 will likely be an incremental improvement in ride/comfort over a 40 but......its still a short wheel base vehicle"

Thats why I characterized it as the following

"The 73 will likely be an incremental improvement in ride/comfort over a 40 but......its still a short wheel base vehicle"
Compared to a crew cab 8ft box pu truck it is a swb but in the toyota line up in those days it was the mwb version and you can’t even begin to compare the leafs to coils for ride quality

Lj70 swb
Lj73 mwb
Lj78 lwb

Compared to a crew cab 8ft box pu truck it is a swb but in the toyota line up in those days it was the mwb version and you can’t even begin to compare the leafs to coils for ride quality

Lj70 swb
Lj73 mwb
Lj78 lwb

:rofl:

mmmmkay.....its designed to be a poor road/off road vehicle

Can we agree its not gonna ride like his plush 200?

:rofl:

mmmmkay.....its designed to be a poor road/off road vehicle

Can we agree its not gonna ride like his plush 200?
Everyone bashes on these “poor man’s “ 70 version but 99% of the bashers have never owned one , are you with the 99 or the 1% of the bashers .

And yes you can’t compare it to the 200 but as far as 70 series goes these offer the best ride quality and I have many fond memories of the plus 100k I probably put on Lj’s before I could afford to step up to the heavy duty 7x models with stronger engines and axles but ride quality that is closer to a 40 then a 200 .

These little coil sprung 70’s make great daily drivers without destroying the budget .

Everyone bashes on these “poor man’s “ 70 version but 99% of the bashers have never owned one , are you with the 99 or the 1% of the bashers .

And yes you can’t compare it to the 200 but as far as 70 series goes these offer the best ride quality and I have many fond memories of the plus 100k I probably put on Lj’s before I could afford to step up to the heavy duty 7x models with stronger engines and axles but ride quality that is closer to a 40 then a 200 .

These little coil sprung 70’s make great daily drivers without destroying the budget .

I'm not bashing on anyone or anything

I plan on purchasing one varient of 73 or another in next couple years

Just trying to be realistic about how its gonna ride.....the 200 is a caddy in comparison

Thanks. I am considering a 76 FJ40 as well. I do have a commuter (2017 Honda civic) as I drive 104 miles a day for work. I don’t “have to” sell the 200, but I have always wanted an older one after owning other land cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom