Possible Dismantle/Engine Rebuild Thread for the FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gentlemen (and mechanically masochistic ladies, as well...):

I'm finally beginning the dismantlement of the 1994 FZJ-80 that I bought from Mikesta, back in July. Details of that are to be found in "Parting Out" forum, and I'm not trying to do any of that business in here, at all. However...

It's occurred to me that some might find the dismantlement process of interest, and, never having done it, myself, I might get some pointers by talking about it in here, and, conversely, produce something of value for the FAQ. Some of us might never see the bits and pieces I'm going to be getting to, on this truck, without having to totally dismantle their own rigs. If seeing how it was put together in the first place would be of interest, I can take the necessary pictures as I tear the '94 down.

Additionally, the reason I bought this thing in the first place was that I'm ninety-nine percent sure the motor in my '93 is shot, due to excessive oil consumption, on the order of 1+ qt every hundred miles. Most of the diagnostics I've been able to do or have done indicate likely failure of oil wiping rings/and or severe scoring of the cylinder walls. Which is why I'm going to rehab the motor from the '94, and put it into the '93, and then tear down the '93 motor to figure out if it's salvable. If it is, I'm planning on rebuilding it, possibly over-boring it, and going on from there.

What I'm looking for is if any of you think this is worth documenting for the boards edification, and, likely, entertainment. It's entirely possible I'm taking on something past my level of present mechanical expertise... :)

What parts of the process would be the most valuable/interesting for everyone else to see? Aside from the whole "Geez... I think I'll just sell the damn thing, rather than do what that idiot tried...".

I'm hoping this little project doesn't turn into one of those things that serves mostly as a warning to others. But, ya never know...

I think it is definitely worth the effort, considering that I have to do is read your posts from the comfort of my chair. I've started considering doing an engine rebuild myself somewhere in the future.

Please, Thank you, and Good Luck!!

The whole thing ought to be entertaining as hell. I only wish I had videotaped some of the crap my brothers and I have done over the last few years. The clutch in the 1990 truck was pure comedy gold. At the end, we all three agreed that the next time we needed something like that done, we were gonna pay the dealer to do it, take chairs, beer, and watch the tech do it for us.

Last edited:
Yes, by all means, document away. It is all you, after all! If we can't benefit immediately, some will at some point in the future.

Oh, and I'm right behind you with my '94 by about a month, but I'm only doing an engine swap for now. You on the other hand are filling your plate sir.

Let me know how it goes. Take pics, post 'em up. Any shortcuts? Hazards?

Is the truck lifted? One of my problems is that my '94 is lifted 6" so I need to rent an engine hoist, or sky-hook or something. I'll begin by pulling everything out the front end - radiator support, grill, all that and try to pull it out the front so I don't need to go so high.

Good luck. Dan.

Dan, the '93 is lifted. The '94 looks stock.

My plan for handling the lift-out of the motor is to follow the FSM procedure, and do the entire transmission/motor/transfer case all at once. In order to get the necessary height, I've got a cherry-picker, and I'm planning on dropping the front wheels off, and putting it down onto stands so that the bottoms of the disks are damn near on the floor. My only concern is if that's going to allow enough rotation for the entire assembly to come out of the frame.

Stuff like this is why I'm thinking this whole enterprise might be FAQ-worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom