portable DVD player options and opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys -

I am currently looking at various ways to put a DVD player in the truck for some road trips we have coming up. Wanted to get all of your expert opinions and tap the wealth of experience here!

Here are the criteria I have:

- no head rest screens, as our daughter is in the middle in the car seat
- no overhead mount, too high to view easily and blocks the driver's rear view
- somehow mount a laptop or portable DVD player that can then be detached for use outside of the vehicle (like in a hotel room or something)
- have built-in sound, but also jacks for headphones/speaker, and attaching game consoles

So I'm thinking about a standard portable DVD player (but would welcome opinions on which ones are good and can withstand some road vibration), mounted sort of "hanging" between the two front seats. Here is a mount I found that seems to fit the bill:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03097&id=1124431815079

So, what do you guys think?

TIA,

That's a pretty cool mount idea. Odds are that will block your rear view mirror too. Nevertheless, when shopping for the DVD player, make sure it has the inputs and outputs you want. Most that I have seen do not have all those plugs for games, etc.

If you get that mount, let me know how it works out.

From looking at the pictures, it seems like this mount connects to one of the metal legs of the headrest on both the front passenger seats. This unit will probably block your rear view. I looked at the one offered my Mercedes Benz for it's GL Class. It connects to the back of the center console. I am not sure if you can modify it to fit the LC.

We have a soft case. DVD straps down to case so it doesn't fly off. Soft case hangs off either side front headrest. I then use an extra strap to hold it snug on the headrest. Plugs into 12v outlet.

Easy to remove and use elsewhere.

This one is custom but perhaps it'll give you some ideas.
attachment.php.jpg

Not sure about the mounts, but I really like the portable option. Last year, we (my Dad, my son, and me) drove from Louisville to the Grand Canyon and then to Moab and then back home. My son was 4 at the time and we brought a Panasonic portable DVD player with a 7-8 inch screen. It absolutely saved our sanity.

The Top 10 reasons I like the portable option are:
10. It comes out of the vehicle easy for hotels, camping areas, or where ever.
9. It conceals easily (theft deterrent)
8. Its small enough that my son just sits it in his lap or on the armrest and is still comfortable. Also, this helps if the sun is coming in and causing glare; its easily movable to block the glare.
7. If its not working right or if they need help working it, they can hand it up to the adult in the front passenger seat.
6. It has its own speakers and/or earphone jacks.
5. Its never in the way of the driver's view.
4. Its very cheap (under $200) in case its damaged or needs to be replaced.
3. It runs off AC, DC, or batteries (very flexible depending on situation)
2. Its also nice to be able to completely put it away when you want your child to pay attention to what's out of the windows. Example: In Moab, we stored the DVD player away so that Evan would look out the windows and enjoy the wheeling and the views. (Old saying, out of sight, out of mind) If it was sitting out, we kept getting the question "can I watch Tom & Jerry?"

And the # 1 reason: Cuts down on the "Daddy, are we there yet?" (although, not necessarily specific to the portable ones)

I don't think you need to buy a mount for the player. You can pick up any old portable DVD player and most will have straps on the case that you can use to sling it from the front seat headrests. I am ashamed to admit it, but I got an 8 inch Polaroid from SprawlMart for a good price.

We do this and it hangs down near the level of the center console without any problems. Having it a bit lower keeps the sun and glare off it and it can be seen easily by my three kids in the middle row. When you arrive at your destination you just unclip it and take it into the hotel without any hassle.

Good luck.

Hi Benson,

Do you have a picture of what it looks like suspended. I cannot quite picture from the description where the screen will be around when suspended from the headrests.

I do like the idea of simply buying a portable player and its even better if a strap is not needed.

Regards.

I don't think you need to buy a mount for the player. You can pick up any old portable DVD player and most will have straps on the case that you can use to sling it from the front seat headrests. I am ashamed to admit it, but I got an 8 inch Polaroid from SprawlMart for a good price.

We do this and it hangs down near the level of the center console without any problems. Having it a bit lower keeps the sun and glare off it and it can be seen easily by my three kids in the middle row. When you arrive at your destination you just unclip it and take it into the hotel without any hassle.

Good luck.

Also, how bad is the glare?

And is there an easy way to get the sound to come from the car speakers?

Sorry, no pictures with me at work. The DVD player has a soft black case with various attachment points available when opened. We simply wrap one strap around each headrest and it hangs there nicely the same as if it were sitting on a table. You can lengthen or tighten the straps depending on how high or low you want the screen. Ours sits just above the level of the center console, which is perfect for the kids and keeps the sun off of it. For freeway driving it doesn't sway much at all and plugs into the 12V power right below.

We don't run the sound through the speakers, but the kids are right there and it is plenty loud.

HTH.

hello there i actually used a luggage strap and straped the dvd player to the center consule and it held pretty good that way wife or i can change dvd (kids change their mind etc ) now as for sound this may sound silly but i have a cassete adapter for my ipod and i plug it into the dvd player headphone section and it plays thru the car sound system the kids never complain and its very simple the cassete thing was like $20 best buy but i liek that adapter you showed it looks good. i think i may have the same case the other guy was talking about it came with the player but it is to much work to connect it around the head rest and then changing discs is to much work also. just be careful on off ramps its the only time the unit would slide around

I used to use the casette adapter in my car for my ipod. With the ipod being old, the battery needs to be constantly recharged. All those wires made it look cruddy.

While this would be a very inexpensive and working solution, I was wondering if there was an easy way to hook up the sound from the dvd player to the car's sound system.

The solution you are explaining seems like a very convenient and easy one. That is good.

hello there i actually used a luggage strap and straped the dvd player to the center consule and it held pretty good that way wife or i can change dvd (kids change their mind etc ) now as for sound this may sound silly but i have a cassete adapter for my ipod and i plug it into the dvd player headphone section and it plays thru the car sound system the kids never complain and its very simple the cassete thing was like $20 best buy but i liek that adapter you showed it looks good. i think i may have the same case the other guy was talking about it came with the player but it is to much work to connect it around the head rest and then changing discs is to much work also. just be careful on off ramps its the only time the unit would slide around

oh yes its very easy also everything comes out also whe i go to nyc i have to take everything out because people steal stuff thats not bolted down and this scenario is very easy and quick

Thanks guys! This gives me some ideas to chew on!

anyone with a 2003 have a rear seat entertainment system? i was wondering if it uses the same dvd changer as front screen, or if it is a standalone system in the rear. the only thing that makes me question this, is that my front screen has a soft button saying "rear screen off". i obviously do not have a rear screen. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

anyone with a 2003 have a rear seat entertainment system? i was wondering if it uses the same dvd changer as front screen, or if it is a standalone system in the rear. the only thing that makes me question this, is that my front screen has a soft button saying "rear screen off". i obviously do not have a rear screen. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

I'll let ya konw in a few days ;p getting a 2001 with 4 headrest screens and then the dash nav screen.

btw: if anyone is interested (shameless pimping) I'm selling a almost new Alpine Rear DVD setup w/2 wireless headphones here in the "mudbay" section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom