Popping off an FJ door panel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone point me at how to remove an FJ door panel without breaking every rivet stud keeping it there? Recommended rivet tool, parts needed to reattached, etc.

Hmm ... ignore that. Just found a video of a guy doing the job. Seems the FJ door panel is attached just like my 1963 Mercury Comet door panels. lol.

Last edited:
For future reference, it's is two bolthead screws near the door pull that are hiding behind plastic covers. Then the door pops off from the bottom edge and you lift upwards to unhook the top edge. Then you have to disconnect the wiring harness clip and the cable going into the door release lever.

The fact the clips can break, or the panel, that concerns me. Some of the clips are way up under the edge where cheap tools just won't reach.

I'd like to have a few extra on hand, jic; and I've had zero luck finding replacement clip part numbers.

The fact the clips can break, or the panel, that concerns me. Some of the clips are way up under the edge where cheap tools just won't reach.

I'd like to have a few extra on hand, jic; and I've had zero luck finding replacement clip part numbers.

I would not be to concerned about clip part numbers, I have always been able to find them at parts stores if you need them. Typically, I will use a panel clip pry tool and I very rarely break door panel clips.

~Jeff

You can order a bag of clips on Amazon .door is easy to remove and some clips will break .just replace them

Call me cautious; there are no less than 1000 different styles of door clips, and I have yet to find the Tooyota FJ Cruiser version's part number on the many Toyota Dealer parts pages I have searched. I need to run down to the local Toyota dealer and ask parts for a few.

Found some that claim to be OEM on Amazon that claim to fit the FJ, complete with anti-rattle washers...

ps: can you tell I've had a few bad experiences with getting the correct parts? lol

Last edited:
Did those have the anti-rattle washer?
s-l300.jpg

I don't believe so .but the factory ones didn't either .it doesn't rattle at all though

Interesting ... the 'supposed to be factory' ones I found listed on line do have the washers. I wish Toyota was a little bit freer with parts information. I had even worse trouble trying to find new hole plugs for the factory rack and skid plate.

I bought mine used so it's possible they were replaced before. I got $1000 off the sticker because the passenger door wouldn't open from the inside .Took me 5 minutes to fix at home and I replaced about 3 of the clips while in there. No rattle now. Driver side had a rattle but it was the colorored plastic piece that is above the arm rest area . Popped the skin off and slid some foam behind it . replaced 3 more clips that broke and no more rattle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom