PNW Campouts... get out of that cubicle & have an adventure!!! Trip planning thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hojack

♠️Project Snowball❄️
Threads
Cascade Foothills above Eagle Creek, Oregon 🇺🇸
Local Cascade Cruisers
Really have been enjoying meeting up with the locals recently. The Christmas Tree Run was great. Really enjoyed meeting some of you and enjoying tasty food.
We had a snow wheeling trip last Saturday up the Clackamas which was a blast. @boots4, @Paco, @Kentucky Pete and I went up the “Clack” up toward the Bull of the woods lookout. I overnighted here during the 2017 solar eclipse.
247F25EB-F708-44D4-BC67-7A6F7551E2E1.jpeg

CFBEAEDB-22CA-4B9A-88CA-637D3116A159.jpeg

Snow wheeling group photos
AAFEDA0D-59EE-43D3-809E-D38B269A80B6.jpeg

0BD4F237-6BE7-4F21-A7CC-9F90D9B360FC.jpeg

I’ve been eager to get some remote camping trips planned, not at State Parks but deep in the mountains. I’m a map junkie and love to explore our great state. A remote lake would be nice for fishing and relaxing.
A place I’ve always wanted to get to is Taylor and Irish Lakes in the Central Oregon Cascades. It’s all wilderness except a small road leading to the lakes. Sounds like the right crowd to join the fun. Let me know if this sounds fun.
I also have my Crater Lake property that I’m going to start working on when the snow clears. I’ve got the septic and well to put in before camping will be feasible. I hope to start building a cabin but camping seems like a good start. It’s easy access off HWY 97 surrounded by all south central Oregon has to offer.

Last edited:
A very beautiful area would be the Elkhorn Mtns south of Baker City, Oregon. This area has a lot of gold mining history. Due to the history mining roads climb high into the Elkhorns which stopped it from becoming wilderness like the Eagle Caps. These roads/ trails climb up to 8-9,000’ to the High Trail which extends from Marble Pass to Anthony Lakes Ski Area. I hunted deer and elk in that unit for decades before it became too popular and hunting just wasn’t the same. These roads that climb ridges up to access the High Trail at different points. North of Columbia Ridge it turns to the N. Fork John Day Wilderness and isn’t accessible by vehicle... obviously:rofl:
I know this area really well. Cool ghost towns litter the landscape and old mining equipment. A tour of the area would be a lot of fun. Sumpter, Oregon has an old mining dredge and the Sumpter Valley Railroad has a train ride with amazing views of the southern Elkhorns. My kids love geology and rocks/ minerals so this would be a great trip for families. I’ll see if I can get some pictures from my photo albums.

I’ve had some people reach out to me about SAS #4 in Ouray, Colorado and was really interested in going. I’d be going with my son Ryder. Anybody local interested in going too?
Jason

im down. Will I be the only stock truck there?
Not sure need to get group together.

I’m headed to SAS4 in Colorado now. Really looking forward to meet some MuD members I’d never have the chance to meet.

Dang, is that this weekend? I wanted to come out for that but got sucked into projects this week.

Dang, is that this weekend? I wanted to come out for that but got sucked into projects this week.
SAS4 isn’t until first week of August in Ouray, Colorado but registration is closed for this years 75 attendees. There’s always SAS5 next year.

Mt Hood heading over Lolo Pass
D97F870E-4921-4381-B877-B69FDE16B276.jpeg

Backpacked into Wahtum Lake for an overnighter. Caught some Brook Trout fly fishing and some huge crawdads.
7A84B70D-5B54-4FCC-824C-9FF36132953A.jpeg

Heading back home
552596D1-1F7E-42A7-81DE-2D9D99711A4A.jpeg

A5F470FC-8212-4C4B-87E4-4064F55F401B.jpeg

FD1A6182-6917-4CF6-901A-3FE56F37B1C7.jpeg
6D1013B2-5C93-4667-BC66-809A6A9B49DD.jpeg
7F66AC06-BC9F-4F49-80C6-C5E192C38CC4.jpeg
E4184560-7C8E-46EB-AAB9-4D64F87433BF.jpeg
2136216B-284B-468A-B423-6ECF03F389F0.jpeg

Breakfast at the Zigzag Mtn. Cafe

Okay locals. 2020 has been quite the year. I hope you’ve been able to keep a positive outlook during this trying time. I know the future can look bleak but we can overcome through this. I pray and hope 2021 brings joy and relief.
Enough of that... trip planning time.

I was wanting to plan a road trip across Oregon. Taking the time off will be the tricky part for us all. My job is very flexible if I have enough notice. I’d love to explore the Elkhorn Mtns. This area abounds with old mining history. Many “Jeep” trails climb to vistas that access the High Trail which traverses from Anthony Lake Ski Area to Marble Pass. There’s high lakes to explore to mining history and ghost towns. My dad has a time capsule hidden on top of Elkhorn Peak I’d love to try to find and even hide another.
A week would be needed as Sumpter, Oregon is about a days drive away. The area hosts the Sumpter Valley Railroad and Gold Mining Dredge. Very family friendly so plan to bring the wife and kids. Maybe go panning for Gold in Cracker Creek.
Those interested in this should reply here and then we can get the ball rolling. Also what vehicle you’d plan to take. This would be a lot like Solid Axle Summit in Colorado just in Oregon:)
My Crater Lake Property now has water so I’d love to have a campout down there. I have 2 10x10 slabs I poured a couple weeks ago. I’m about to order lumber and start construction of a pumphouse and a bathroom. These will be vital. Eventually I’ll build a cabin but I’m making sure I don’t go into debt with this project.
We could also do a basecamp at my property and explore south central Oregon, there’s so much to list down there also. Oregon is one amazing state.
Put down your thoughts.

I’ve got an elk hunt at the end of the month down by your property. Well, the Metolius unit, the Upper Deschutes unit, and the chunk of Fort Rock west of 97. Once I get that done, I’ll have more time to plan some Cruiser playtime. Hoping to finish up the final tweaks to the lift on my 40 and be ready to play this winter. Looking forward to seeing what materializes here.

I’ve got an elk hunt at the end of the month down by your property. Well, the Metolius unit, the Upper Deschutes unit, and the chunk of Fort Rock west of 97. Once I get that done, I’ll have more time to plan some Cruiser playtime. Hoping to finish up the final tweaks to the lift on my 40 and be ready to play this winter. Looking forward to seeing what materializes here.
My vaca property is in the Fort Rock unit. Good luck on the hunt. I go elk hunting Nov. 6th out toward Long Creek.

05C7D7AF-FF59-49F7-B60F-35B08090DF59.jpeg

I’m ready to start planning a snow wheeling trip to the Crater Lake Property. Now that I’ve had time to explore the area I’d like to take people out to see all this area has to offer. I’ve got some massive slash/burn piles I need to start anyhow, thought a campout would be a lot of fun.

7FFDA595-942D-43CD-BD35-9EDABE1E2053.jpeg

If it’s too cold then the Whispering Pines Motel is a quick 15 minute drive down the highway.
The Pinnacles inside Crater Lake National Park would be a great back country trip. They are on the eastern boarder but accessible free without driving into the park itself. Backroads lead into them which Travis and I found out last year exploring.

8D24E278-D283-4F89-A17B-FEC992243C07.jpeg

40B325DB-876E-4680-A7FA-8BB778226A10.jpeg

4395369A-938E-44E6-AF5F-1617E00E8333.jpeg

Seeing these Pinnacles in winter would be awesome. They are not accessible in Crater Lake National Park in winter.

Anyone have a dispersed camping spot near Bend they'd be willing to share? My guidebooks only cover the Willamette and Mt Hood NF, not the Deschutes. I'm seeing some old forum posts about camping along FS 9710 and off 97 and 20 into the NF, but more recent posts indicate those areas are overrun with tweakers.

Anyone have a dispersed camping spot near Bend they'd be willing to share? My guidebooks only cover the Willamette and Mt Hood NF, not the Deschutes. I'm seeing some old forum posts about camping along FS 9710 and off 97 and 20 into the NF, but more recent posts indicate those areas are overrun with tweakers.
I’ve got my Crater Lake property almost ready!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom