PM maitenance during front brake replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have my new rotors and pads but I'm not 100% sure what else I should replace while I am in there?

I have 83,000 mi. so I want to go ahead and replace any bearings, etc. that should be done. I think there is a bearing and oil seal on the end of the knuckle and a bearing on the hub also? Anyone done this yet?

Anything I'm forgetting?

Also, what source do you use for part numbers or do you just have your parts person (ie CDan) look the stuff up?

Thanks,

Bryan

Last edited:
For the hub assembly, it looks like you would replace several other items such as the grease cap, snap ring, gasket, and lock washer?

You just need to repack the grease. The bearings themselves will last upwards of 200K mi if you take care of them. I'm at 184K mi on my original bearings on my 86 toyota 4x4, and the first pack wasn't done until 102K mi after 14 yrs! The FSM says to repack at 30K intervals, but I'm thinking that's if you drive in water. Still, I do mine at around 30-40K mi intervals. My hunch is most people never repack their bearings, regardless of the car they own or how many miles it has.

I was thinking they were never repacked so I figured I'd replace them now...

Or maybe I'll just repack them:confused:

How about the TBars and springs? :)

Doug

Last edited:
Doug,

I just got some used shocks so I can take measurements and find suitable replacements for a lifted application... I want something with more beef than OME but I don't want to have to fabricate new mounts.

The shocks I'm running are shot so I'll need to replace them soon. Which means I'll have to replace the tbars and springs too;)

-Bryan

calamaridog said:
I was thinking they were never repacked so I figured I'd replace them now...

Or maybe I'll just repack them:confused:

Ah, I'd just repack them. The OEM bearings last a loooonng time. My father was the PO of my rig, and I know he had never repacked them or had them repacked in 14 yrs. I'd repack and inspect them first. Then you'll know if you need to buy bearings. I bought new bearings a few years ago, but 60K mi later, the original ones are still going strong!

CDog: Are you worried about shock fade or you just want a stiffer or softer ride? The used shocks you got were what brand and model?

Did you read this thread? https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=35431

Jim: It's good to hear that the bearings can go neglected for so long and still be in good shape.

Doug

Doug,

I'm having vibration after 60mph on the front driver side. I do not believe it is my tires. Since I am already doing the front brakes I thought I might replace the bearings too since I'm already in there.

The used shocks were just stock and I'm just using them for measurement purposes. I've read the thread already that Hank wrote, very good thread.

My shocks are shot and that is why I am considering new ones. I'd like to do something other than OME but if I can't figure something else out OME will be better than stock.

I've not been overly impressed with the OME shocks in the past. Their springs are good but the shocks don't impress me. I do occasional running around at speed here in the Socal desert and want something durable and more prone to resisting fade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom