Plywood sheet in a 60 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to get a 60 series, and I'd like to know if anyone has ever fit a sheet of plywood 4'x8' in the back?
I'm okay with it sticking out of the back. I do woodworking as a hobby, and I always have to have my sheets cut to fit them in my wife's SUV (Kia, Sorento...). My wood supplier is only a few miles away, so I could drive with the back open to get home if necessary.

You're going to run into trouble length ways. It will fit but it will be smacking you in the head even if you leave the tailgate open and you brake.

You're going to run into trouble length ways. It will fit but it will be smacking you in the head even if you leave the tailgate open and you brake.
?what? Just put front end against folded rear seat and leave tailgate open. No Need to get decapitated over a sheet of wood... :eek:

Yes they fit. I've carried 15 sheets and could not drive on freeway because it had my rear end sitting flat and gave me severe understeer.

?what? Just put front end against folded rear seat and leave tailgate open. No Need to get decapitated over a sheet of wood... :eek:

Yeah good point, it's been a long time since I've been able to put my rear seat down.

I do it all the time. I fold down the rear seat, and the sheets fit from the back of the front seats right to the edge of the open tailgate. I've also got some tie downs In the back, which helps. The only problem is that the license plate is mounted on the tailgate, so it's not visible when it's open.

I also carry sheetrock panels back there, but I built a simple frame out of 2x3's to support them in the middle between the wheel well arches.

The Home Depot is only about 3 miles from my house on a country road, so I'm not too worried about carrying building supplies (properly secured) in the open back. I don't know how I'd feel if I had a longer way to go or highway driving along the way.

The 60 is remarkably utilitarian. The tailgate/lift gate doors on the rear are far more useful than a lift gate only setup like my 4Runner has. With 4x8 sheets, I folded the rear seat down, opened the lift gate and left the tailgate closed. This put it on a slope towards the interior so it wouldn't work it's way out.

The 60 is remarkably utilitarian. The tailgate/lift gate doors on the rear are far more useful than a lift gate only setup like my 4Runner has. With 4x8 sheets, I folded the rear seat down, opened the lift gate and left the tailgate closed. This put it on a slope towards the interior so it wouldn't work it's way out.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Easy, safe, and secure. I've done this myself; it's not a bad idea at all for boards and plywood sheets. Not the best for sheetrock, though, which is what I've been dealing with lately.

But I think that this is all a long-winded way of answering Spiva's original question: yes, 4x8 plywood fits just fine.

Exactly...

Thanks for all the replies... I'm in the market now for a 60 series, I just wanted to make sure it'll do what I need before I get my heart too set on it. ... I think it's too late though. I'm spending WAY too much time on mud and Craigslist lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom