Please help! Cv axels replaced and now new vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok this is on my 2001 lx 470. It has the ome lift. I replaced both cv axels over the weekend because both were torn bad and all the grease was out. There was no vibration before this. Now i have a vibration during acceleration starting usually around 55. I replaced them with the napa ones. 2 questions are the napas that bad that they would cause this? Could I have gotten the alignment off some how when I removed the upper and lower ball joint nuts holding the knuckle on? I didn't think so? Ok one more question does anyone know the torque spec for the upper, lower, and steering to knuckle?

Please help!

Coincidences happen sometimes, I would start with the absolute easiest fix and make sure the tires are balanced correctly. Ball joints being loose or alignment being off will not cause a vibration, and unless you damaged the bearings in the diff (which is really really hard to do when just changing CVs) my bet is this is a matter of tire balance.

I had the same issue with after market cv's. Replace with OEM and it resolved. As I recall OEM were around 800$

Had the same experience with aftermarket cv. Oem genuine part still the best.

Thanks for the help guys! I actually did the axle replacement right before a 6 hour trip so we are vibrating the whole way! I guess when I get home I will rebuild and reboot the stockers and see what happens.

Did you find a solution to this issue?

Still living with my non OEM CVs. I usually always go OEM and didn't at the time because of $$$. Lesson learned? The old saying "once and cry once" is true.

Most non Toyota CVs will vibrate if the TBs are cranked much beyond their stock settings. Through in a lift and it sucks big time.

Same thing happened to me a few years back.
Return the aftermarket shafts.
Get the OEM replacements.
Vibration will be gone.
If you really want to test, disconnect them and lock your transfer case.
Your 2WD drive will be vibration free...

I needed CV's and didn't have the cash for Toyota's, so I purchased NAPA cv joints also. I have had no vibrations and I have the stock TB cranked. I was about to reindex the tb's and go up more tomorrow, but after hearing about your vibration I am concerned. I have noticed one wierd thing with my napas that may relate to your vibration; when I jack the front wheels off the ground, the front wheels sometimes don't make a full rotation (when I turn them by hand). Like the CV is binding. It doesn't happen all the time. I just tell you that in case yours are similar CV's and may not be able to handle the extreme angle, similar to when I jack it up and get the wheels off the ground.

:popcorn: to keep it alive. My CVs are leaking and may need to be replaced if I cant re-clamp them. Originally I thought i could go with aftermarket (NAPA etc) buts that clearly not the case. I cant believe there isnt a middle of the road option: Napa bottom and Yota OEM top.
I really KNOW I should go OEM bc Im keeping my 100 but the $600 to $800 each just for the part is a bit hard to swallow knowing that I was quoted $400 by the shop for each side with parts included!:hmm:

B3A5T, If your OEM cv's just need rebooted and regreased you don't need new CV's (napa or Toyota). Just regrease and reboot your current CV's. Mine were clicking really bad and were not leaking grease, so I thought my only option was new CV's.

Anyone have the OE ones rebuilt?

My plan is to pull them(both leaking, one clicking occasionally on sharp turns) and have them rebuilt by a shop my buddy trusts in San Antonio while I have use of his lift.

B3A5T, If your OEM cv's just need rebooted and regreased you don't need new CV's (napa or Toyota). Just regrease and reboot your current CV's. Mine were clicking really bad and were not leaking grease, so I thought my only option was new CV's.

Just degreased and power washed the CV. The passenger side inner boot is slit (the side of the boot close to the tire about 1 inch).
So its not going to be a simple add grease and reclamp. The CV is not making any noises and I stopped driving her. I suppose the best solution is to keep my OEM CV and have it reboot right?
Any opinions on how to proceed welcomed, Im not willing to shell out $1k plus for a new one ath the dealership, and the NAPA ones dont seem to be up to the task.

There should be a kit that has new boots and new clamps. Although if you are going to the trouble I would buy pfrans CV clamps instead of Toyota. I was unable to find any information on how a machine shop would rebuild CV's. It was almost like they cannot be worked on more than regreasing, rebooting, and reclamping. I think Toyota sells a kit for regreasing, rebooting and reclamping.

Tons of data about all this within the 100 forum. Shortcut: Completely avoid aftermarket CV assemblies...while cheaper is tempting its not less expensive in the end. And yes Toyota does offer complete reboot kits...contact beno but IIRC they're less than $40/CV.

I bought new toyota boots and plan on rebooting. Then I will replace the napa cv's and see if the vibration goes away...

I bought new toyota boots and plan on rebooting. Then I will replace the napa cv's and see if the vibration goes away...
Consider updating your clamps with @pfran42 clamp kit. Why? Because those are adjustable and if if you ever needed to tighten the boots it would be easier. The oem are great and they last for 100s of miles but only on stock height ride, bc you have a OME kit I would get the adjustable kind.

After the reboot of the stock toyota axels the vibration went away immediately. Thankfully I was able to return the napa ones for a full refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom