Plastidip or Paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apologies if this question is buried somewhere in the archives.

My door handles and rear spoiler need some sort refinishing as the clear coat is peeling or has peeled off. I am considering, rather than paint matching them to the Salsa Red, going to a matte black.

So the question is... what are the reasons for going with Plastidip over say a Krylon black paint? My understanding is that Plastidip has less prep, and is not totally permanent. But how durable? I would be especially concerned with peeling on the door handles because of constant use.

PlastiDip will peel if it's in frequent physical contact.

PD has its uses, but honestly, every time I see it, I can't help but think of a riced out, falling-apart Civics on 20" wheels.

I say do it right and get those pieces properly prepped & painted.

Is your desire to try the color to see how it looks? I don't think the platidip on the handles would hold up over time so I'd paint. Should be fine for a couple years on the spoiler. If you're just testing color you could plastidip and then if you like it paint. Otherwise, paint from the get go.

I vinyl wrapped mine. I figured it would last a bit longer than a dip since its a constant contact area. So far its holding up well but I'll probably buy new unpainted covers and paint them when I paint everything else.

full

I have the same color and mine is a 2008 but no peeling or fading. Does your 200 sit outside all the time?

Is your desire to try the color to see how it looks? I don't think the platidip on the handles would hold up over time so I'd paint. Should be fine for a couple years on the spoiler. If you're just testing color you could plastidip and then if you like it paint. Otherwise, paint from the get go.
Not testing the color. I’m pretty sure on the black. As far as paint, what recommendations on a diy rattle can? Would something like Krylon Fusion work well?
I would of course give the pieces a nice sanding to prep.

I have the same color and mine is a 2008 but no peeling or fading. Does your 200 sit outside all the time?

It’s an 08 as well, but spent the first 9 years in FL, so yeah, has definitely seen some sun.

Not testing the color. I’m pretty sure on the black. As far as paint, what recommendations on a diy rattle can? Would something like Krylon Fusion work well?
Not my department unfortunatley. I used basic rattle can paint (stuff they say is made for wheels) and they turned out as expected - meh. But they wheels take a beating anyway so it's not like you can tell the difference between trail rash and bad paint jobs :bounce:

For your parts I'd think you want to make sure they come out looking professionally done.

My black cruiser spent it's life in the CA desert and NM. The underneath looks amazing, but I have the same peeling issues. I'm pretty tempted to get some paint work done when I'm finished baselining it. I'm not that keen on doing it myself.

I also have some clearcoat peel above the third row window, and my spoiler looks the same. I don't really have any advice, just commiserating. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'm interested in the outcome.

Thanks for all the responses and feedback. I will update once I pull the trigger on something. May be a bit out.

Definitely don't use PD on the door handles... doing it on the spoiler will work fine and make it really easy - I've currently got plasti-dip on my emblems and it looks great. But I use real paint on things that might get touched and definitely on anything that gets constant wear like a door handle.

Just take the handles off and scuff them up with a scotch pad or wet sand with high grit paper, clean them really well with acetone or rubbing alcohol and use SEM paint to put 4-5 coats on them. You can wet sand before the very last coat and you should get a very smooth finish that will look really good and last a long time.

Also... I think blacking out the handles on that salsa red Cruiser will look awesome. Go for it!

Link to the paint - and you can probably find it at an automotive paint shop close to you - it cost about 3 times more than a can of Krylon but it is worth every penny...

Just take the handles off and scuff them up with a scotch pad or wet sand with high grit paper, clean them really well with acetone or rubbing alcohol and use SEM paint to put 4-5 coats on them. You can wet sand before the very last coat and you should get a very smooth finish that will look really good and last a long time.
How do you get the handles off? On my tundra the handles were identical and there was a little cap you popped off and removed a torx screw and you're done. I can find no such cap on the LC. Any advice?

How do you get the handles off? On my tundra the handles were identical and there was a little cap you popped off and removed a torx screw and you're done. I can find no such cap on the LC. Any advice?

Hmm I haven't had to take the handles off the LC yet since mine are black already... The vast majority just have caps. Maybe you have to remove the interior door panel to get them off? See what Mr. Google has to say. Main thing is prep good, use SEM or similar high quality auto paint and you'll be happy with the results for a long time.

I have an 08 salsa as well. Northeast vehicle. I have started to see some clear coat come up on the edge of the tailgate. Is there anyway to seal where it’s coming up? To stop its continuation?

I have an 08 salsa as well. Northeast vehicle. I have started to see some clear coat come up on the edge of the tailgate. Is there anyway to seal where it’s coming up? To stop its continuation?

Depending on what's happening and where, this might be a good solution. You can find several YT videos that provide instructions and reviews.

Hmm I haven't had to take the handles off the LC yet since mine are black already... The vast majority just have caps. Maybe you have to remove the interior door panel to get them off? See what Mr. Google has to say. Main thing is prep good, use SEM or similar high quality auto paint and you'll be happy with the results for a long time.

DE451CA4-C15A-46CB-BAAE-6C493DD4705C.png

Best thing would be to stop by a local automotive paint store and let them look at it and give you a recommendation. That's probably the quickest way to get a good answer.

That picture looks like the panel came off then the t30 was used in step 1.

I’ve got an ‘08 salsa red too, it’s got The same issue, only on the plastic , I would highly recommend getting them re-cleared but at a paint shop . If you want it to last and look good . It’s REALLY hard make it look good with a rattle can. I’ve worked in many auto body shops, as the dent guy, PDR tech, we’ve seen our fare share of dIY paint jobs. If your good enough to make rattle can look good your probably already a paint guy 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom