Plasma Cutter Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I can use my cutting torch glasses when I use the Plasma Cutter, Right?

I use a fixed shade 5 set of safety glasses.

A404-3208_product.jpg

$19.95

Uvex® Genesis® Welding Safety Glasses 5.0 Shade Ultradura

Uvex® Genesis® Welding Safety Glasses 5.0 are designed for gas welding

Item #: A404-3208
Manufacturer: Uvex
Manufacturer Item #: UVX S3208
Product Type: Safety Glasses

I've been using an auto tinting welding shield it ROCKS for plasma,has a setting for cutting.No more rosy red face after alot of cutting,and don't have to worry about blowback under the glasses at all!:D

Dan,

If you need to make a straight cut, just run the torch down the side of magnetic level. I keep a magnetic tool holder strip around for the same purpose. You can also cut out wooden templates for whatever you need and run the torch around them. This is great for a part you need to make over and over again. The heat does not effect the wood.

For something where your going to have fire on the other side of what your cutting a snap on crud thug or a similar tool like a Spitznagel tool will take it off very quickly no matter what it is.

eBay Motors: Dent Fix Spitznagel Eliminator Undercoat Remover Tool (item 270301383570 end time Dec-11-08 09:44:09 PST)

If you've never tried one of these, you'll be amazed.

Other basic plasma tips, if you move too slow the metal tries to fuse back together again and you get too much heat and slag. If you too fast, the metal is not completely cut and you'll see the sparks going at a noticeable angle backwards from the direction of travel. If you go about the right speed, you'll see the sparks departing a slight angle and get a clean cut.

The Plasma 39 is a great machine, you'll enjoy it I have the Plasma 38. If you keep the water and oil of your air you'll find the tips last longer. Motorgard makes a great plasma filter...there is a stand off guide you can get to get the right amount of space when doing sheet cuts. You can also get a circle cutter guide.

For stuff you use a air, jig or recip saw for cutting, the rule of thumb for making that work well is that you want to a have blade that has three teeth in what ever you cutting. Many times you can make a cut with a recip saw or even a crappy jig saw that is nicer and faster than plasma but when you need plasma it's often because nothing else will work!

-Stumbaugh

Thanks

I'm experiencing this but I was cutting 1/8" steel diamond tread.

Other basic plasma tips, if you move too slow the metal tries to fuse back together again and you get too much heat and slag. If you too fast, the metal is not completely cut and you'll see the sparks going at a noticeable angle backwards from the direction of travel. If you go about the right speed, you'll see the sparks departing a slight angle and get a clean cut.

I am getting some blow out on the backside of the cut. Could my air pressure be too high?

Thanks

Dan,

Do you have a huge air compressor, dual stage, etc?

When I did, I had to put a regulator and water trap on my plasma setup but these days i just have a pair of heavy duty 110V air compressors instead of one huge 220 dual stage one and I just need a water trap and no regulator.

When I had 170 PSI of compressed air at 20 CFM it was too much.

Get a motorguard water trap and a decent regulator. IIRC

I also seem to recall that some of the newer plasma cutters have internal regulators for air pressure, check out the manual on yours.

Lots of sparks behind your direction of cut means that your going too slow. Pick up the speed until your don't have sparks going forward and just gouging instead of cutting.

Thanks for the advise.

Air compressor is a Dual Stage 14.8cfm and I have it set at 90psi running 3/8 hose. I have a water trap on the compressor as well as the plasma cutter.

The Plasma cutter has an internal (built in) adjustable air regulator.

Lots of sparks behind your direction of cut means that your going too slow. Pick up the speed until your don't have sparks going forward and just gouging instead of cutting.

I must be cutting too slow. When I cut fast, it seems that I have to break the metal off since it rewelds itself. Maybe because I was cutting the Steel diamond tread and the thickness changes every inch or so. I will give it another try today.

Dan, Since I dropped a hammer on your face, it's the least that I can do!

PM me for my cell number if you need advice when your making the cut.

Diamond plate it a little bit harder but if you watch the sparks from the side and pay attention to how the sparks are falling and how the cutting process sounds, as well as travel speed, you'll make a super clean cut.

Use an old magnetic level as a cutting guide.

-Stumbaugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom