Places to practice fording a river locally (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A bit of a strange ask:
As part of an upcoming trip to Iceland later this year, I am debating renting a 4x4 to go on the F roads in Iceland.
(F208 to be specific)
Having done some research, I see that most of the f roads are just differentiated between the size of river crossings.
I am currently debating renting
1. stock Landcruiser GX (prado150 on highway tires) (This company has insurance you can buy for river crossings (covering the motor, ETC) (I have asked the rental company if this is enough 4x4 for the F208 road)
2. or a modified Prado 150 (small lift, 33" all terrains, snorkel) but does not have river insurance

Does anyone know of good places one could practice fording rivers that have some flow?

Last edited:
A bit of a strange ask:
As part of an upcoming trip to Iceland later this year, I am debating renting a 4x4 to go on the F roads in Iceland.
(F208 to be specific)
Having done some research, I see that most of the f roads are just differentiated between the size of river crossings.
I am currently debating renting
1. stock Landcruiser GX (prado150 on highway tires) (This company has insurance you can buy for river crossings (covering the motor, ETC) (I have asked the rental company if this is enough 4x4 for the F208 road)
2. or a modified Prado 150 (small lift, 33" all terrains, snorkel) but does not have river insurance

Does anyone know of good places one could practice fording rivers that have some flow?
I never knew of any when I was in NC. There may be some on private land if you can find someone. It seemed like all of the 4x4 parks and trails were trying to keep water crossings to zero.... even tiny streams in NC. That said wait for the next hurricane out in the outer banks ;)
There is a lot of water crossings down in FL, but I don't think most of them would have flow more the bog type stuff they do down there.

Id say go do the artict truck or super "jeep" trips in Iceland for a few days will take you to places you can't go in the other rentals and normaly a guide goes with you and you can drive. They are pricey though....

War woman crossing might be a good one, also known as Earls Ford, near this point 34.889423, -83.229836
Also Sarah's Creek Campground area, also near the water crossing, has quite a few crossings themselves if you explore it.

@OTRAMM did you go on any FRoads in Iceland? if so, did you happen to take the southern route of F208?
We were in a tiny rental car. No F roads for us :(. I beat the hell out of that car just driving the ring road and some crazy bypass road on the Eastern side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom