Pitman Arm Torque (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had my pitman arm off to pull the steering box and weld up some cracks in the frame there. When I pulled the nut that holds the pitman arm to the steering box I noticed it was just snug, but not torqued. I was able to back it off with a 8in crescent wrench without much effort. I assumed it was probably original and had just loosed a bit over time.

After re-reinstalling everything I re-torqued the nut and split washer to 130ft*lbf per the FSM. After driving a few days the steering felt a little sloppy so I checked things. I noticed a little oil in the spline interface between the pitman and box was being squeezed in and out as the steering was worked back and forth. I don't think this was necessarily the slop, but seemed wrong none the less.

I checked the nut torque and it turned around ~75ft*lbf. I retorqued to 130 Ft*lbf and worked the steering back and forth a few times and checked again. I got about 3 deg of turn on the nut before a click. Did this again and got another 3 deg. Looking at the nut being ~22mm dia I torqued it up to 175 and worked the steering back and forth a few times, again a little motion before a click. I did this about 5 times with the last being torqued to 200ft*lbf. After two workings of the steering it seems to be holding 175ft*lbf.

Does it typically require that much "seating" to get the torque to stop backing off? There wasn't anything in the FSM of seating the splines. I'm assuming they are tapered so the nut takes the slop out of the splines? Otherwise what is the arm bottoming on? There is no shoulder and I cant imagine they would want to bottom it on where the shaft / spline transition is.

I'm a little hesitant to trust this joint given it was backing off after only a few left / right and jiggling of the steering each time. Looking at my dodge 2500 it also uses a 32mm socket and the spec is 185ft*lbf. Given the socket size I'm assuming the thread sizes are close between the dodge and land cruiser. Also 130ft*lbf seems a bit low for the thread size / comparing to dodge.

Never seen or heard of that before. Is the pitman arm cracked? Sector shaft maybe? Seems like either the pitman arm hole is getting bigger or the sector shaft is getting longer. Or maybe you aren't engaging the splines properly? Pics?

Ya I agree it’s strange. I checked the pitman arm and no obvious signs of a crack in it. I drove it to dinner and when I came back I got no movement 175ft*lbf. Granted I used red locktite so that’s probably cured now making it harder to turn as well, but happy it didn’t move.

Here are some pics went a little crazy with the paint marker.
1F4054A4-E71E-42CE-A70F-160E50DDFCC6.jpeg
42317206-17C4-433D-8BF2-D0B0B8F06D50.jpeg
7E6B0E02-B200-4785-BBD8-9BC8B45E5D11.jpeg
6842F192-5249-457F-8FD8-C4F4C0DE6621.jpeg
5DB3FA27-B6AA-4AF3-97FC-3BBB2A0A8949.jpeg

Something different, but related to Pitman Arm.
I search for the torque of the connection between the Pitman Arm and the Tie Rod End (the castle nut). I can not find it. In this forum, I found the torque for LC 60 (91 Nm) but did not find it for LC 80. Does anybody know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom