Pintel hooks types (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.okierover.com
1077.jpg
OR
1075.jpg

Could you fellows give me some input as to which setup works best for you?
I have a concern that a pintel ring will beat up the ball type hitch too much.

Thanks.

The ball combo is fine for a M101 trailer. It's light. It's what I have.

I would be concerned towing a huge heavy trailer with it, as I do not feel it is strong enough for that. The sheer forces are right on the bolt. Where a normal pintle would be bomb proof IMOP.

But it's probably strong enough for anything that can be towed with a cruiser.

I say go ball, then you can use it on other trailers.

I have the ball type.

Very convienent on road... haven't had it off road yet. But it makes a great strap point and easy to get on and off.

Rezarf <><

1077.jpg
OR
1075.jpg

Could you fellows give me some input as to which setup works best for you?
I have a concern that a pintel ring will beat up the ball type hitch too much.

Thanks.

How about the third?

More clearance during the steep approach, no bolts dragging without loosing ball for pulling standard rental trailer if i need one.

I used this "hybrid" ball hitch for four years with my M416 and it served me well.

With true military loop hook (with built-in spring), the loop DOES NOT' contract the ball during the sudden stop, just the wall of inside hitch.

I also make a adaptor metal filler and it fill in the gap nicely so it is much quieter under any drving condition.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Hey Snook what size of ball is on the 3rd option?

I find 2 inch is common today, but older trailers use 1 inch 7/8s ,

But I prefer your options for strength.

Option 3 has a 2" ball.

How about this? Option #4
Kinda pricey, but if it does everything OK it may be worth it.

Cruiser_nerd is correct, 2" ball.

I don't see what's wrong with option 4, it is a matter of owner's preference. I like to used proven product that is used by professional.

I might be wrong but it looks like that option 4 is design for a high end consumer user, not commerial use.

Two month ago, I rented a sissor lift that lift the platform 19ft high. This platform weight 2 tons and the trailer weight 1 tons, a total of 3 tons (6000lbs).

This trailer only use pintle loop because all commerial trucks comes with pintle hooks. The rental guy was stunned to see my duplex pintle hook on my "plastic" bumper on SUV. He crawled underneath to see the hidden rear crossmember for himself.

It went well as long my speed remained lower than 20 mph max over short distance.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom