Pinion Seal Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I rebuilt the front diff on the fzj80. Now the pinion seal leaks. It didn't leak before. I replaced the seal again but it still leaks. I will get a new companion flange instead of a speedi sleeve. The problem is that I don't have the tools to pull the pinion bearing, race and oil strainer. I dont want to pull the diff. In the manual it shows how to pull all that stuff to replace the crush sleeve. I searched all over and can't find the pullers. If I just replace the seal and flange, I will only have about 50ftlbs on the pinion bearing any more and I wil have to much preload on the backlash. Is 50ftlbs going to be ok?

This should be a good first time post.
kurt 94fzj80

You dont need any special tools to get the small pinion bearing off. Just take the pinion nut off,take the carrier out and smack the pinion with a dead blow and it falls onto the ground. This is where the crush sleve is, no press needed! put a new sleave in reassamble and you are on your way.

Thanks, I didn't want to remove the carrier but it looks like it will be the best way to go.

kurt

Will the small pinion bearing need to be replaced? Does hitting the pinion shaft damage the bearing?
kurt

The bearing will only need to be replaced if it is pitted or damaged some other way takeing it apart will not hurt it a bit. Smacking the pinion with a BFH is the only way to get the pinion out cause of the small bearing being pressed on when you put the flange on and tighten the pinion nut. This will not hurt a thing. Like I said use a dead blow or a brass drift so you dont damage the threads on the pinion thats the only thing to worry about.

Thanks. I have the die as I had screwed the threads on my Toyota pickup. The rear pinion thread on the pickup is the same the front pinion thread on the 80.
kurt

Even better yet dont trash the threads so you dont have to use the die! I dont even want to guess how much that die was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom