Pike San Isabel comment period ends November 4th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAS

Seeking higher vistas
Threads
One week remains to make comments to the Forest Service. The comment period ends Monday, November 4th.

Here's a short (9-minute) video primer on "how to make comments" which explains how the Forest Service categorizes written comments, how they prioritize written comments, and some suggestions on how to be specific in writing comments.

You can submit comments electronically via the "Online Comment Portal":
US Forest Service NEPA Projects Home

or by mail to John Dow, PSICC Forest Planner, Travel Management, 2840 Kachina Drive, Pueblo, CO, 81008

Here's the last video from CORE before the end of the comment period. There are some easy tips in this video for writing your own comments; BY THE WAY, DID YOU KNOW that you can reference another person's comments within your own comments?

The Forest Service page compiles all of the public comments for viewing in a "reading room". You can read comments that others have submitted, and reference those in your own comment(s)!

Some of the most thorough and well-written comments (in my opinion) are by a fellow named Patrick McKay. He has submitted roughly a dozen comments (one comment, generally, by geographic area) on Wildcat Canyon/the "Gulches", Baldwin Lake, Breakneck Pass/Round Mountain, Mount Bross, Alma/Fairplay including Mosquito Pass and nearby roads such as Coomey Lake, Pirate aka FS Road that goes north to the ruins of "Champagne Mine".

The "reading room" server went down a few minutes ago...

It is back up again. WildEarth Guardians sent out an email blast with a form letter, and locked up the server. There were over a thousand sent in. Luckily, all of those form letters only count as one.

Reactions: SAS
Ha... I was hoping you guys would send out a form letter for us to send in!

Ha... I was hoping you guys would send out a form letter for us to send in!

A good feature of the comment process is that you can reference comments made by others; you can write one or two "generic" sentences about yourself (I enjoy 4WD travel in the forest. Motorized access is my favorite activity, etc.) and then reference another person's comment (I support Joe Public's suggestion about FS Road 220/Hackett Gulch).

Further, to provide more specificity, you can add a reason:
I support Joe Public's suggestion about FS Road 220/Hackett Gulch to create a loop with existing roads.

This can be done repeatedly where the subject is a different road or area, so long as it isn't copy/paste. You must use different "generic" sentences about yourself (otherwise, I suspect that the software will "tag" it as a form letter.)

Suggestions:
Kirk Bode, comments about the Gulches in Teller County/make a loop from existing roads
Kirk Bode, comments about Williams Pass/Road 298A in Salida District/object to changing to non-motorized
Patrick McKay, comments about Alma area/Park County; closure of FS Roads will have negative economic impact on community
Patrick McKay, comments about Round Hill/Road 426 in Park County; closure prevents access/egress to nearby BLM roads
Patrick McKay, comments about spur roads off Breakneck/Browns Pass Park County; spur segment illegally closed no NEPA analysis
Marcus Trusty and CORE, comments on Williams Pass/Road 298A same as Kirk Bode above
Marcus Trusty and CORE, comments on Twin Cone, Road 126 Park County/re-open upper section closed due to 1980s map error (1984 Forest Plan map)
Marcus Trusty and CORE, comments on Lost Canyon, Road 398, Leadville District/keep open and include segment omitted due to map 1980s error (1984 Forest Plan map)
Marcus Trusty and CORE, comments on Half Moon Roads 110, 110J, Leadville District/keep open and include East and West segments omitted due to 1980s map error (1984 Forest Plan map)

CORE has lots of specific info in their videos (channel name is "keeptrailsopen"), plus I have downloaded the PDF comments for many more if you want me to email them to you, or you can simply filter comments in the reading room for the author's name.

The key thing--it has to be in your own words, cannot be a copy/paste.

Today--Monday 4 November--is the final day for public comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom